Chapter Sixteen

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

“Divorce papers?” I ask, unable to look away from the brilliantly white papers in front of me, “Are you sure that’s what they are?” I look over at Aaron, he’s staring back with an apologetic expression. He flips the papers over and several yellow and red tabs are stuck to the papers, indicating where signatures are needed.

“I’m positive.” Aaron says, leaning back in his chair.

“But, mom and dad are in London. Together.” I say, pushing the papers away from me.

“Dad is in London, mom is not.” He says in a satisfied tone, like he’s proud of himself for uncovering some sort of mystery.

“How do you know that?” I say in disbelief. Is this what he’s been doing?

“I went online and viewed mom’s credit card bill. She bought a plane ticket to New York, one way.” He says with a hint of excitement in his voice. I’m having trouble understanding what he’s saying.

“I don’t believe you. What would she be doing in New York? Has mom ever been to New York?” I go to tie my hair into a pony tail and realize I don’t have a hair tie.

“Maybe she’s having an affair.” I let out a laugh and stare at him in shock.

“Excuse me?” He turns to face, ready to explain his theory.

“I’m serious. Dad doesn’t even live here anymore, Rae. His clothes are gone and almost all of his documents are cleaned out of his office.” He’s practically jumping out of his seat.

“Is this what you’ve been doing? Rifling through Mom and Dad’s personal lives?” I press my palms into the table and take a few deep breaths.

“No, I just discovered all of this, this morning. But, it makes sense, doesn’t it?” I stare at him, thinking. I honestly can’t remember the last time I talked to my Dad. Mom always said he was buy with work or packing for another business trip. And this morning, when she was telling me to live my life or I’ll regret it, and how resentful she sounded.

“His clothes are gone?” He nods.

“And she’s really in New York?” He nods again. I sink down in my chair and stare at the papers, wondering when all of this happened.

“I can’t believe it.” I say, wondering how all of this happened under our noses.

“I can.” Aaron says in an amused voice. I whip my head in his direction.

“What? Why?” I practically shout. He laughs, taking the papers in his hands and browsing through them.

“Because Mom and Dad hate each other.” He says as if I should already know this.

“No they don’t. They love each other…” Although I’m unsure if they really do. I can’t remember the last time I heard them say that to each other.

“Rae, the parents you know are proud and loving. The ones I know are disappointed, angry and resentful. I’m not surprised by this at all.” He shrugs.

“Well, what do we do?” I can’t believe he’s reacting like this, they’re still our parents. But then, he has a point. He’s never had a good relationship with them, especially my Dad. I can’t exactly say my relationship with him is ideal either, I don’t even know what the man does.

“Nothing. It’s not our problem.” He stands, heading over to the stairs. I follow him, slowly trailing behind him.

“Of course it’s our problem.” We walk down the hallway, turning right and heading into the office.