Chapter Six

CHAPTER SIX

I sprint out of the kitchen, through the living room and out the door, but I stop dead in my tracks, pain shooting up my leg. My heart is hammering against my chest. I see her standing on the lawn, screaming and crying, her hands tearing at her hair. How is this happening? Where was Aaron and my mom? I’ve only been gone for an hour, an hour and a half at most. I walk quickly towards her as she continues to scream and I notice a car approaching in the distance. I stand in front of her and grab her shoulders, turning her to look at me. She screams and slaps my hands away, shoving against me, her finger nails scratching my arms.

“Darcie, it’s me, its Rae. Darcie, stop!” I grab her wrists and force them down at her sides. She’s shaking her head back and forth, her hair flying wildly into her face and getting caught on her tear stained cheeks. She’s muttering under her breath furiously, twisting under my touch. I tighten my grip on her wrists.

“Darcie!” I yell at her. She stops struggling and her brown eyes meet mine. There is so much fear in them it makes her face wild. It takes her a minute, but she recognizes me, her eyes coming back to life like she’s just waking up, her face sagging under her anxiety.

“Rae…” She whispers. I don’t let go of her wrists, afraid she might snap back into whatever state she was in. I nod at her, swallowing down my own fear. She sighs, her body relaxing. Her eyes roll back into her head and she falls into me. I grab her around the waist and hold her up, her legs buckling underneath her. I don’t know how I’m going to carry her into the house with my leg. I feel a hand on my back and I turn my head.

“Give her to me.” Louis says, walking around to face me. He looks better than he did 3 nights ago, alert and rested. His hair is done in the same messy way, some of it falling onto his neck. His scruff is thicker, especially above his top lip. He holds my gaze for a few seconds and then leans down to put his arm under Darcie’s knees as I gently lower her torso into his other arm. He cradles her in his arms and I can’t help but stare at his muscles flexing.

“Lead the way.” He says flatly. I limp up the porch steps, biting my lip to stop from crying out and lead him inside. I take a deep breath and grip the railing as we climb the stairs to Aaron’s room. I lead him inside and he lays her on the bed, pulling the sheets over her. Her brow is thick with sweat and her eyes are moving back and forth rapidly under her eye lids. I touch her forehead, it’s burning up. I leave the room to go get a wash cloth. I walk into the bathroom and grab one from one of the drawers below the sink. I run it under the cold water and ring it out, catching a quick glimpse of myself in the mirror. I had mascara under my eyes, like a raccoon. Great. I quickly wipe my eyes and walk back to Aaron’s room. Louis is sitting next to Darcie on the bed, his fingers on the inside of her wrist. He holds his hand out for the wash cloth and I set it in his hand, our fingers brushing briefly. He places it on her forehead, brushing a few strands of hair away. I can’t believe it. I’m jealous of my unconscious friend, who won’t even be able to remember that he touched her when she wakes up. He stands and follows me out of the room, waiting behind me as I close the door. We descend the stairs and I lead him into the kitchen. He stops in the doorway, his hands in his pockets. He’s wearing a deep red t shirt, and I can see he has multiple tattoos on his arms. I fight the urge to go to him and get a closer look at them, to run my fingers over his skin. He has jeans on, they’re rolled up at the bottom, another tattoo peeking out on his ankle.

“Thank you.” I say softly, staring at him, hoping he’ll look up at me with those intense blue eyes. He nods at the floor.

“Don’t mention it.” He’s nudging the floor with the toe of his shoe. I wait for him to say some awful insult about my character and leave, but he doesn’t, he keeps nudging the same spot on the floor. Why is he still standing there? Does he want a medal? I felt awkward, like I should be doing something.