Chapter Twenty Seven

CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN

I open the door to a woman about my height, long dirty blonde hair that falls in loose curls past her shoulders. Her bright blue eyes are practically glowing in the semi darkness and her beige raincoat is drenched. She has a heart shaped face and her features are small and dainty, like a porcelain doll that could shatter if you looked at it the wrong way. She’s smiling at me, her perfectly straight, bleached teeth showing.

“Hi!” She calls through the rain in the sweetest voice I’ve ever heard.

“Can I help you?” I say back politely, wondering how she got past our armed friends outside. She smiles again and I can feel a few of my teeth rotting.

“I’m looking for Harry Styles. Does he still live here?” She tries to look around me, still smiling in that strawberry shortcake sort of way. There’s an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach and I know exactly who she is.

Layla.

Rage sparks within me and I suddenly have the urge to punch her in the face. She’s the reason for Aaron’s pain and Harry’s. I should tell her to leave, that he’s gone and he’s never coming back, but I can’t. I need to talk to her, to tell her how much I hate her.

“Um yeah, he’s…he’s inside. Come in.” I step aside and let her cross over the threshold into the house. She starts to unbutton her coat and I hold my hands out for it, imaging what it would feel like to strangle her. Her coat falls from her shoulder and I suppress a gasp as I look down at her protruding belly. She turns to face and rests her hands on her stomach, the fabric of her shirt flowing perfectly over the bump.

“Can you wait here for just a sec?” I say, staring at her stomach.

“Of course.” She says in a candy coated voice. I turn slowly and walk back down the hallway and through the living room. When I push the swinging door open Louis and Harry are tossing little pieces of fortune cookie into each other’s mouths. Harry tosses a piece and it hits Louis in the eye and he erupts into   unhinged laughter, clutching his side.

“Harry.” I say in the door way. He looks in my direction and beams.

“We added another 50 to the bet.” He says, fidgeting happily on his stool. I shake my head, stepping a little further into the kitchen. Louis catches on to the serious look on my face and holds his hand up to silence Harry’s chuckles.

“Rae, what is it, what’s wrong?” I keep my eyes on Harry until he meets my gaze. His smile falters a little and he looks confused.

“Rae?” His eyes move back and forth between mine, searching.

“Layla is here.” A cold silence falls between the three of us as soon as I speak, and the color quickly drains from Harry’s face.

“Are you sure?” Louis says, grabbing my arm. I glance at him and then focus on Harry, his eyes are dull and lifeless now.