chapter 16

Lana's POV

"well..." i trailed off, not knowing what to say or how to explain it.

it wasn't as if i had done anything wrong, it simply wasn't my secret to share.

~flashback~ (five years ago)

today was especially sad. the sky was covered by gray clouds that showered us with bittersweet rain. we needed it to happen so we could support our crops, but it meant that nothing could be done outdoors today without being washed away. to had been exactly three months since Sasha left us to join the military. he said he would write to us and visit whenever he could, but we hadn't heard a word from him so far. i descended the stairs and entered the kitchen. the walls of our house were slightly worn, the kitchen's interior was covered in yellowed wall paper with flowers on it. i lent against the counter, drinking a glass of water, when mum and Jacob walked in. after seeing me they both smiled and Jacob started to jump around saying, "look what we got! look what we got!" while waving a piece of paper at me.

i giggled at his antics and snatched the paper from him i opened it and started to read it aloud,

"dear aunt Nadia, uncle Solven, cousin Jacob and cousin Svetlana,

i apologize for not writing sooner, but i've been very busy. i have just started my training and am thoroughly enjoying myself here. i shouldn't be telling you this, but i feel that my only remaining family has the right to know what i have chosen to do with my life. as well i feel that giving you this information would not put you or myself in harm's way. i have been given the opportunity to join a special task force. this is a branch of the military that partakes in secret missions and general spy-like activities. i should not give away anymore information, for fer that either you or i may get into trouble, but i want to reassure you that you do not have to worry about me. i am being trained to handle any kind of dangerous situation. should a situation arise were i have been captured by any kind of enemy, they have given a pill which we hide inside our mouths (often disguised as a tooth) that instantly kills us painlessly, so that we do not have to suffer. while this may not be the most reassuring news, i wanted you to know that no matter what happens, i wil not be hurt or in pain. i also want you to know that i love you guys. i always will. no matter what. 

love,

Sasha Minsk.

~Flashback over~ (present)

andrew was staring at me as if i was guarding a secret that was the key to the universe.

Andrew's POV

all i wanted was to know her. every time that i think i'm getting closer to reaching that goal, something turns up and she remains a complete mystery to me. i stared intently at her and she shifted her eyes down to look at the ground. she mumbled something and i strained to hear her. "what?" i asked her.

she lent forward towards me and said, "it really isn't my secret to tell. i guess i can tell you if you promise not to tell."

she held out her pinky to me and i responded saying, "i promise." and wrapping my smallest finger around her's.

she lent in as if she had a major secret. it was intriguing me. what could she have to tell me that would be such a big deal. she leaned in so that her lips were close to my ear and whispered to me, "Sasha was in the military, he told me the secret about the tooth."

it took me a while to understand what she was saying, i was focused intently on the way her lips felt as they brushed against my ear.  when i did catch up to what she said i was confused, "what secret about the tooth?" i asked.

"they hide a capsule thing in place of their tooth, that if they get captured they swallow and it kills them painlessly." she explained.

i felt my eyebrows pull together in concentration. if the rogues were using this as a strategy it means they have more people and are more strategic than we originally thought. it was obvious by what the rogue said that it was a job done for and organisation of some sort, some one who didn't want our pack around any more. the man had said he lost his mate and that i would feel the same pain soon. i let out a low growl at the thought. i wouldn't let anyone take lana from me. wolves regarded mates very highly because, not only were they made specifically for us, it hurt like hell if you rejected or got rejected from or by your mate. thinking about the wolves i've seen go through that i shuddered. not having your mate with you destroyed a person. thinking these things made my wolf start to rise to the surface, trying to take control of me. i pushed him down and reached for lana. she grounded me and made the world stop spinning around me. she made everything feel alright. i nuzzled my face into the crook of her neck and breathed in, inhaling her scent to further calm my wolf. "i'll never let any one hurt you." i told her.

"i know." she whispered back to me softly.

it made my wolf hum in happiness that our mate trusted us with her safety and had such confidence in us.

i led us back down the dingy hallway and up the wooden stairs, past the kitchen and straight to the family room. i sat us on one of the four leather sofas sitting around the room. i pulled lana onto my lap and pulled her close to me, not wanting to let her go until my wolf was satisfied that she was safe.

i know this chapter is hort and i'm sorry, i'm going to start leading up the the main problem soon so please hold on, i also want to say thank you to my 189 readers! it's amazing that you guys are reading my story! i hope i see that number go up though because your telling all your friends, right? lol :) so just.... vote, comment, share, ect. you know the drill. :) thnx!