chapter 9

Andrew's POV

I ran through the woods. I could feel the muscles rippling underneath my skin, the wind moving my fur. Lana clutched the scruff of my neck. I can hear Lana's happy laughter from where she sits, perched on my back. My legs extended as I bounded through the forest. trees went passed me in a blur as I ran as fast as I could, wanting to impress my little mate.

Flash back - five hours ago (on the date)

when i realized that lana's tears were tears of happiness, i was ecstatic. i was worried that i had gone to far. i had spent a long time planning the perfect date for her. i had a few of the pack members secure the area before a few of them went before us to set the food out. when i found out that this was her first date, i was even happier that i had put in the effort. i escorted lana to her chair and pulled it out for her. i was trying to follow every rule i could think of to be a gentleman. as embarrassing as it is, i will admit, that when i was preparing for our date i had googled, 'how to act on a first date' and 'how to impress your soul mate'. the results were unimpressive. I chose not to listen to the internet and go with what felt right. I wanted Lana to fall in love with me, not some glorified version of me hell bent on impressing her. i inhaled through my nose and let the deep breath out of my mouth. i rubbed my suddenly sweaty palms on my dark suit pants. i needed to tell her. i opened my mouth and the words seemed to spill from my lips in their hasty rush to get out.

"lana i have something to confess, don't worry it's nothing bad, but i don't want you to do anything until you've heard my whole explanation." i cut myself off and took a deep breath. i looked at lana, trying to gage her reaction. she looked worried, but i couldn't tell about what. she nodded her head at me to continue once she realized that i had stopped talking. i decided to just blurt it out.

"i'mawerewolfandyourmymate."

"hunh?"

"i'm a werewolf and your my mate."

"what is a werewolf? we did not have these in my village."it was adorable the way she scrunched her nose because she did not understand.

Focus Andrew! my wolf yelled inside my head.

"i'm human, but i can transform into a wolf. i just want you to know that while we may sound very similar, i am nothing like the monsters in the woods that you heard stories about. i would never do anything to hurt you."

"umm... okay. i'm going to need you to explain the specifics later, but right now, i want you to explain what a mate is."

"a mate, is a short form for soul-mate. you are the only one i could be truly happy with. you are my other half. you complete me. it also explains why you felt the sparks and why you liked me so immediately."

"so... you only like me because of the fact that i'm your mate?" she had tears gathering in her eyes. oh crap! how could i let her get so mixed up?

i jumped to reassure her, "of course not! i would like you no matter what! the mate bond just makes it so that we can find our mates very easily."

"oh...," lana trailed off, she sniffled occasionally, after five minutes of silence, she spoke up again, "what does your... wolf... look like?"

"do you want to see?"

she simply nodded in response. i get up and take off my suit and crouch down trying to make myself as small as possible so i don't frighten her when i shift. i imagine the soft silky fur of my wolf covering my body, my nose and mouth elongating into a snout, i pictured my muscles stretching and moving underneath my skin as i ran throughout the forest. i closed my eyes as i imagined my other form, as i opened them again i saw the world in a different light. i looked up to see lana staring at me with a hand covering her gaping mouth. she started giggling and reached forward to run her hands through my fur. the sensation of our skin contact was enhanced in our second form. i pushed my head further into her hand and nestled my snout into her stomach.

she crouched down and looked into my wolf's eyes and said, "i know you aren't a monster. the monsters are horrible creatures. they have no humanity and can't experience any kind of affection. i know you like me, so that proves that your not." she smiles at the end of her sentence, as if that was that, and there was nothing anybody could do to change her mind.

her words let a flood of relief flow through my body. i was the happiest that i had ever been because of her certainty. the fact that lana trusted me so much after only knowing me for so little time, was truly amazing. i nudged her again and motioned with my head for her to sit on my back. "you want me to sit on your back?"

i nodded my large wolfy head. she slowly walked around to my side and confirmed that it was alright for her to sit on me. i nodded my head again and she climbed on.

present time - forest

lana's POV

i sat perched on the back of an abnormally large, chocolate coloured wolf. I felt the muscles of his back ripple underneath me. I ran my small fingers through the silky fur. it was soft as cotton and as shiny as silver. the wolf underneath me was made of sharp and graceful angles. he looked as if he was a warrior, one of great importance too. my boyfriend was a wolf... I don't think I will ever get used to that fact.

***

i was sitting on the royal blue duvet that covered the king sized bed that sat in the middle of andrew's room. the bed rested on a dark cherry wood frame in the center of the large room. the walls were the same color as the bed spread and the trim was a cream colour. the floors were made of hard wood that matched the rest of the furniture. there was a desk and a bookshelf on opposite walls with a large bay window with two regular windows on either side of it across from the double doors that opened to the hallway. on either side of the desk there was two doors painted a cream and royal blue colour. i assumed they opened up to a closet and bathroom. overall the room was very impressive and screamed importance. as i was observing and assessing the room, andrew paced infront of where i sat on the bed. for the forth time, he took a beep breath and opened his mout. only nothing came out. it seemed as if he was at a loss for words and it was making me nervous and slightly dizzy as i followed him back and forth with my eyes. as he did it again i spoke up, my voice coming out harsh, affected by my russian accent, "are you going to say something?" i paused when i realized how my words came out, i corrected myself, "sorry, that came out harsh. i am just nervous. you keep pacing."

a frown made it's way onto my face as i thought about what could be causing my prince charming to be so nervous. maybe, he has reconsidered having me as his mate, i thought.

"why are you nervous?" he asked me.

"you don't want me to be your mate and you don't know how to tell me.... right?"

"WHAT!? i don't know where you got that idea from, but it is NOT true."

"then what are you so upset about."

"i was nervous because i didn't know what to say to get you to accept me."

"me? accept you? what are you talking about? i already have."

"you have?" he asked. he seemed so confused by my answer.

"did you not want me to?"

"no, no, of course i do, i just didn't think it would happen."

"why wouldn't i accept you? you are my prince charming."

he smiled at my response and continued, "i thought that you would be afraid of what i am."

i tilted my head to the side, "i already told you that i know you are not the monsters, you are a good, kind person, and more importantly, you are my prince charming, and the fates would not have been so cruel as to pair me with a monster."

andrew let out a breathy laugh at my response and launched himself at me. he wrapped his arms around me and buried his face in the crook of my neck. i in return wrapped my own arms around his middle. giggles escaped me as he let out a deep breath that tickled my neck.

we stayed like that for almost an hour. both of us sprawled out on the bed with our arms wrapped around each other and eventually fell asleep.