Chapter 14

Lana's POV

i awoke and felt a hard mattress under neath me. i kept me eyes closed as reality came back to me. the monsters. ohana. the wolves. i felt tears well up underneath my eyelids. it was all my fault. i knew not to go in the woods, i knew it. it was my fault. i was the reason ohana got hurt. i saw an image of my mum flash behind my eyes. i saw her talking to my papa about how excited she was to have grandchildren. i had seen it through the crack in the kitchen door. i had been thirsty in the night and had snuck down stairs. my mum had kept telling papa about how excited she was for me and jacob to have our own families. how am i supposed to give her grandchildren if i can't even take care of a puppy. it wasn't as if i was planning to do this immediately, but at some point i wanted to fulfil her wish. i felt a tear roll down my cheek, leaving a salty path behind it. i felt an arm surround me from behind and made sure to keep my breathes even. i heard a knock against the door and someone enter. the person who entered was female, " he survived the surgery to heal the wounds, but he lost a lot of blood, he might not make it." i burst into sobs upon hearing this. andrew startled but quickly regained himself and began to comfort me.

"shh... it's going to be fine. ohana's going to pull through, i know it."

i nodded my head, trying to be confident, but he was only a little puppy. he was defenceless. it was my job to protect him and i couldn't keep him safe. when i voiced my thoughts aloud to andrew, his voice took on a fierce quality as he reassured me that it wasn't my fault.

after finally calming me down enough that my tears stopped, andrew sat up on the bed and told me that he was going to get us some dinner. i sat up as well and started to follow him.

"what are you doing, lana? i was going to bring it to you."

"oh? i... just, um... wanted to stretch my legs!" i said, happy that i had come up with a believable excuse.

andrew nodded his head rather reluctantly, accepting my answer but knowing it wasn't the truth. his dark curly hair flopped over his eyes and without thinking about it, i reached up and tucked the strands behind his ear. I felt his chest rumble as I rested my hands on his shoulders. I looked up into his eyes and confessed something.

"I'm scared." I whispered.

Andrew pulled me to him and wrapped his arms around me again. he pressed his lips to my hair and breathed a deep breath.

"I will never let anyone hurt you." he promised solemnly.

I nodded into his chest and inhaled his scent to calm my racing heart. andrew ran his hands up and down my back in a comforting manner. his actions caused goosebumps to rise on my arms. i pushed myself away from him and said, "dinner?" 

andrew nodded and took my had and guided me to the kitchen. i looked around the pack house on the way down the stairs. the entire house didn't just feel like a house, it felt like a home. it felt like my home. i don't know what i would do if Sasha took jacob and i back. we wouldn't live in the village, there is no more village. the thought brought tears to my eyes as i remembered a life time of memories. dancing with jacob to mum's music box. the first time carl came to meet mum and papa. teaching jacob how to speak english. trying to convince papa that he should learn as well.  i let out a sigh as the images filter through my brain. andrew removes his hand from mine and wraps his arm around my shoulders, the warmth provided from his gesture warms my heart. i smiled and snuggled closer to him. i again felt his chest vibrate as a pur like sound reached my ears. i giggled at the noise he made and looked up at him. when i did, i saw a red tinge staining his cheeks. i poked his cheek and let out a small 'aw'

he shifted and looked down at his shoes as if they were the most interesting things he had ever seen. i chuckled and said, "don't worry, i like your blush."

his face burned brighter and i laughed again. i pulled him closer to me after putting my arms around his waist. when we entered the kitchen, we found a large gathering of people at the table. they immediately hushed when we entered and bowed their heads. i was confused by their actions towards us. i looked to andrew about to ask him to explain, when he beat me to it by simply saying, "it's a wolf thing, i'll explain later." 

i nodded in acceptance and went to sit on the same stool as i had the last time i was in here for breakfast. it seems like so long ago now. but really it was hardly thirteen hours ago. 

***

Andrew's POV

i watched as she sat on the same stool as before and reflected on how long ago that seemed. i managed to make both of us leftovers from yesterday's dinner without burning down the kitchen, and set the plates down in front of her and my own place setting. while we were eating, lana asked me if we could go see ohana after. i said we could, but i'm worried about how she'll take his condition. she already told me she blamed herself, which is absolutely ridiculous. i should have been paying more attention. i should have smelt them before we had even entered the forest. i had been to distracted by the look of pure joy in lana's eyes. i was the reason my mate was put in danger. my wolf growled at my thoughts and said that it wasn't true.

'but if it is... it will be the last time.' i promised him.

i felt our connection drop as he faded to the back of my mind. 

Lana's POV

after we finished eating, andrew led me by the hand again to the room they were keeping ohana in. the room was very similar to the one i had woken up in. it had white walls, tile floors and contained a regulation hospital bed surrounded by medical equipment of which i didn't know the name of. resting on the bed there was the small bed we had bought containing ohana. i brought my hand to my mouth, trying and failing to hide my gasp of shock at the sight of my poor, defenceless puppy. there were scars running all along the sides of his body. three long gashes that seemed to be very swollen, stood out against his shaven skin. the cuts were red and very prominent. the stitches the doctor had given him made it look as if the once adorable and innocent puppy had been the subject of a cruel and evil science experiment. i slowly approached him. i took the hand that had been covering my mouth and slowly brought it down and rested it over the three long scars. andrew had told me about the moon goddess that was the creator of werewolves. i decided, that if werewolves are real, and not evil, then she is and can't be as well. i tried to pray to her. i didn't know how one was supposed to pray to a goddess of the moon, but i tried my hardest. i tried just speaking to her in my mind and i tried to visualize ohana running around happily, no injury present on his small body. i closed my eyes as i tried this, but when i opened them, all i could see was the small injured puppy beneath my hand. andrew came up to me and wrapped his arms around my waist while pressing a kiss to the side of my face. his actions brought me some comfort, but i was still worried and racked with guilt for ohana. i leaned back into him, running my hands over his arms, trying to show him that i appreciated his gesture. i looked down just in time to see ohana's eyes flutter open before regarding me, letting out a small, quiet bark and closing them again. i bent so that i was next to his side i whispered, "come on, ohana, you have to be okay."

sorry it's been so long scince i updated.... i really have no excuse.... i stil hope you like this chapter and recomend this book to your friends...