2.1

[narration]

daniel was fast asleep on the hospital seat, his head hung extremely low, so low that his head almost touched his thighs.

as much as jihoon wanted to stay and wait for rin to come out from the surgery room, to see that she was safe and breathing, he was feeling dizzy from taking out too much blood from his body.

his dad had wanted him to go back home to rest, and since jihoon didn't have enough energy to argue, his dad really didn't have to persuade him much for him to acquiesce.

daniel's eyes suddenly shot open, he glanced around the room frantically, at the empty seats next to him.

he walked over to the nurse at the front desk, almost tripping in his steps, "where's rin?"

the nurse tilted her head at him, raising a brow at his sudden question, "..excuse me? rin? we have not registered a patient with the name rin. could you give me her full name?"

"a-ah, sorry, her full name is kim jaerin." daniel cleared his throat, a little embarrassed.

"hm.. oh, right! kim jaerin came out of the surgery room a couple hours ago. the doctor wanted to inform you that the surgery was very successful, but since he wasn't able to wake you up, he had told me to inform you once you've woken up."

daniel awkwardly scratched his head, "so.. i can go see her now?"

the nurse nods, "she's on the third level, west wing, ward 12B."

upon thanking the nurse, daniel quickly dashed off to begin the search for his princess.

;

"west wing.. ward 12B!" daniel glanced at the door, '김재린' was written on the door in bold letters.

he quietly twisted the knob, pushing the door open and closed it behind him with a soft 'click'.

rin was out like a light, the white blanket was pulled all the way up to her lips, only the top half of her face was poking out of the blanket.

daniel grinned, a small idea popped into his head. he creeped over to the side of the bed, and attempted to take a cute photo of rin with his phone.

while he was searching for a good angle, in the middle of her deep sleep, rin unconciously turned over, her peaceful face inches away from the camera.

daniel let out a stifled laugh, and as soon as his finger clicked the capture button, rin opened her eyes.

at that moment, daniel knew that he just got his hands on a photo of rin that was perfect for blackmailing her.

"huh? daniel? you're he- what's so funny..?" rin rubbed the sleep out of her eyes, and watched as a fully-grown man rolled around the floor, clutching his stomach, the laughter that escaped his lips didn't seem like it was going to stop any time soon.

from his position on the ground, daniel held up his phone, the close-up photo of rin was still on the screen, and he was still choking out laughter from left to right.

"what the fuck, daniel! delete that!" rin's face was completely red, and if it wasn't for the fact that it hurt so much when she moved her torso, she would've already wrestled daniel for his phone.

daniel wiped off a few tears that fell from his eyes, "but you look so pretty here! i don't want to delete it!"

rin narrowed her eyes at the male, and after a few seconds of them glaring at each other, he finally decided to give in to her request.

"fine, here, i deleted it." rin gestured for daniel to hand over his phone, for her to check if he really did delete that ugly photo of her.

she scrolled through his camera roll, and the most recent photo was one of his cat, rooney, sleeping on the top of his fridge.

thankfully, her photo was nowhere to be seen.

satisfied, rin handed the phone back over to daniel, who sat next to her bed with his eyes glued on the girl.

"i think you forgot to check one last thing.." daniel said, dragging the last three words, making the girl hum in confusion, "what is it?"

after switching off his phone, he turned it over so that rin could see the black screen. pressing the home button, he observed the change of rin's expression from puzzled to another wave of rage.

"why the hell did you set it as your fucking lockscreen?!"

(a/n: listening to iu and gd's palette while writing this really sets the mood 👁👅👁)