/7/

I forgot about this race.

"Oh. Right. You ready to lose?" I said.

I noticed that his arm was still wrapped around my waist. I moved his arm and stepped back a little.

"I'm actually ready to win, actually," Bryan said.

"Where's this race at again?" I asked.

"We're going to the football field. What we're going to do is see which one of us can run around the football field 100 times in 2 minutes or less," Bryan said.

"Okay. That's it?" I said.

"Yeah," he said.

"All right. I'll be there in a few minutes," I said and walked away.

I sped to my locker. I put my stuff in my bag, grabbed my bag, and closed my locker. I turned to my right and jumped.

"Hey. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you," he said.

"Hey. It's fine. What's up?" I said putting my bag on my back.

"I want to apologize for kissing you earlier. It seemed like a good idea at the time but then minutes later there were rumors going around. Then the pictures and I just started a war and-"

"Nathan, It's fine," I said.

"Really?" he said.

nope.

"Yeah. I've got to go. I have a race to win," I said.

"I heard about that. Bryan was it? Your ex?" he said.

"Yep. He's the one," I said. unfortunately.

"Good luck," he said.

I stood on my tiptoes and kissed his cheek. "Thanks."

I sped off to the track. There were so many students in the bleachers. what in the world? this is just a race. what's so important about it. oh, Mr. Allen. I dropped my bag and sped to his classroom.

"Mr. Allen!" I said.

"Yes," he said.

"It's time for the race," I said.

"Right. Let's go," he said.

He took off his glasses. We sped off to the track.

"Whoa. You're almost as fast as me," he said.

"Yeah. I'm getting there," I said.

"With speed like that, you'll definitely win this race. What is this race about again?" he said.

"Bryan wants to see who's faster. We have to run around the track 100 times in less than 2 minutes," I said.

"How will you keep count?" Mr. Allen asked.

Bryan walked up to us. He had something in his hand. He stuck the thing in my arm. It hurt for a brief second but then I saw something glow in my arm. ew. that's weird to look at.

"What's that for?" I asked.

"It's a tracker. It keeps track of how many laps you ran. Yours is blue and mine is red. The timer is on the scoreboard," Bryan said.

"You really thought this through huh?" I said.

"Yep," he said.

It's really not that serious. it's cute that he thinks he'll win. When we were together, we'd always have running races and he'd lose. Every time.

"You ready?" Bryan asked as we walked to the starting line.

"Wait. How will you know you hit 100?" I asked.

"The thing in your arm vibrates," he said.

'You better win this race or I'll be upset,' Erik said.

'Why does it matter whether I win or not?'

'I may or may not have a bet against Travis.'

'Oh. I'll definitely win. Don't worry.'

"On your mark! Get set! Go!" Mr. Speed yelled.

He shot something in the air and I took off. I was counting in my head. I hit 75 and slowed down and looked at the time. I had a minute and 10 seconds left. I took off and ran as fast as I could. I looked behind me, and I saw a cyan streak behind me. yes! finally! The tracker thingy in my arm vibrated. I stopped running. I looked at the time. 59 seconds left. I looked at his score. 75. He hit 100 and stopped. We waited for the timer to go off. We walked up to Mr. Allen. He grabbed my arm and held it up. The crowd roared. We turned and faced each other. I had a huge smile on my face. He looked mad and embarrassed at the same time.

"Nice race," I said and held out my hand.

He shook my hand but refused to say anything. He took the tracker out of my arm and walked away. I grabbed my bag and started to walk away.

'That. was. Amazing,' Erik said.

I smiled and walked to the front of the school. I grabbed my phone and called my mom.

"Why aren't you home!?"

"Well, hello to you, too. I had a race after school."

"You're late to meet your father and your sister, Sarina."

"I already met Adrian. We have classes together."

"Oh. That's nice. Do you want me to come and pick you up?"

"Please. I'd appreciate it."

"I'm on the way."

I hung up the phone and waited for her. I stared at my feet and realized they were on fire.

"Agh!"

I stomped the ground until the fire was out. I took my shoes off. great. now I need new shoes. I put my bag down beside me.

"You know it's not good for you to be standing here alone," a familiar voice said.

I turned around and made eye contact with him. Why is it that everywhere I go he's right there?

"I think I can protect myself. Thank you very much," I said.

Erik stood next to me. I started to breathe uneasily but I tried to hide it.

"What are you waiting for?" he asked.

"I'm waiting on my mother," I said. "You?"

"Oh. I'm not waiting for anyone. I have my own car. I'm here to protect you," Erik said looking around.

"Okay. I told you I-"

I stopped mid-sentence. I looked down and saw something sticking out of me. I felt weak and lost all feeling. I started to fall and at the last second felt cold hands catch me.

Erik's POV

I looked at her motionless body. please don't be dead! I examined the arrow inside of her. I knew exactly who this was. Krystal. I looked up at the roof. Krystal stood there. She smiled and walked away.