I'll always Be Here

Start from the beginning

Zayn thought about that question a lot.

Harry always seemed to be the happy type when they first met. Always smiling and showing those beautiful green irises that were always lit. But as Zayn got to know Harry, he found that sometimes those green orbs weren't always as bright and his smile wasn't always as wide. Some days he would come to school and wouldn't even say a word while other days, he wouldn't even show up at all. And not just a day here or there, but days at a time. He wouldn't call Zayn to at least tell him he was fine and he firmly told Zayn that he didn't want him to visit his home.

Ever.

Zayn was a little worried of course, because he hated when Harry shut him out. It was strange and uncomfortable. But it wasn't just Harry shutting Zayn out, that was strange to him. The first time they ever had sex, Zayn noticed a bruise on Harry's lower back. Harry claimed he bumped into the edge of his counter the day before, so Zayn brushed it off, so as not to offend Harry or pry. But he was still a little bit concerned.

A couple of weeks after that, Zayn noticed another bruise on Harry when he went to kiss his cheek. It was on his collarbone this time and he got angry at Harry because he thought he was cheating. That anger only lasted a short while though, because Harry told Zayn that he went to stand up and accidently bumped his shoulder on the desk in his room. Again, Zayn believed him because he trusted Harry. Harry would never lie to him.

"Don't you want to check on them at least? Just to make sure they aren't killing each other?" Harry asked as he was patting Zayn's chest.

"No," he chuckled. "Mom will eventually get them to calm down."

Harry nuzzled closer to Zayn and burried his head in his chest causing Zayn's hand to fall from his hair, to his back. That was the way Zayn liked Harry to be. In his arms where he could be his protector. When he first met Harry, he never once thought he would refer to himself as that. But he liked it. It implied that he'd always be there for Harry. And as his brain wanders he remembers how there was one specific time where he had to be more than ever.

It was a month later after he spotted the collarbone bruise now. Their school was having some type of Student Award Show for students who excelled above average in their class. Harry had excelled in English and Zayn, in Biology. So they were excited when they got to attend together.

Zayn brought his mother that night and Harry brought his father. Special seating arrangements in the auditorium didn't allow them to sit together. But Zayn could see Harry from where he was sitting and that was satisfying enough. But he did notice that something wasn't right. Whenever Harry's dad did something as simple as raise his arm, Harry would always flinch, even if barely. Zayn knew that wasn't normal. Harry never flinched around him.

Once they finished giving out the awards, they all met up in the school cafeteria where they served food and refreshments for all the guests. Harry and Zayn sat at the table they usually sat at during lunch during the day. Zayn's mom sat with them and so did Harry's father. His mom really liked Harry and she knew that Zayn really liked him too. And she was pretty sure Zayn had lost his virginity to that curly haired boy by now, but she wouldn't say anything.

Zayn and Harry always sat close whenever they were at lunch. So close, that their shoulders and legs would be touching sometimes. But tonight, they weren't. They were still next to each other, but Zayn felt so far apart. Harry seemed so much more cautious unlike the loose and free Harry he was so used to seeing.

And things got even worse when Harry's dad stepped out for a smoke and Zayn's mom went to get more food. Zayn tried to kiss Harry but he turned away and put his hand up between them. Zayn was frustrated to say the least and suddenly he wasn't hungry anymore. All he could wonder was why Harry seemed so distant. Usually he would return Zayn's kisses without hesitance. But not tonight.