Xmas Miracle

Winter Wonderland

Sleigh bells ring, are you listening,

In the lane, snow is glistening

A beautiful sight,

We're happy tonight,

Walking in a winter wonderland

❄❄❄❄

★December 22, 1999★

"Mommy! I finally finished it!" Five year old Harry had finally said as he ran out of his room and into his mother's room. "I finished my letter to Santa!"

But when he got there, he saw that she wasn't as happy as he was. She was sitting up in bed, looking at a bunch of papers that had come out of the ripped envelopes. She was also crying.

"Mommy, what's wrong?" He questioned and he climbed in the bed with her. "Why are you crying?"

She wiped her eyes and gave him a half smile. "Things didn't turn out the way I thought they would this year, Harry."

He smiled and flopped his curls. "Well, I know something that can make you better. I finished my list to put in the box at the mall. I hope Santa will get me what I asked for. I've been good all year so that he won't miss us again."

But her breath hitched and she buried her face in her hands.

He sat his list down on the bed and pat her back. "What's wrong?"

She looked at him again and then pulled the confused boy into her arms. "Harry, I have something to tell you and you're not going to like it."

"What?" He asked.

"I know you made your list and everything... and I know you were expecting him to bring you a lot of fun stuff this year, but... Santa isn't coming this year either. He can't make it."

Harry furrowed his brow and looked down in his lap. "What? Why not? Was I bad, mommy?"

"No, sweetheart. You were good this year. And he really wanted to reward you for being good. But he just can't. Maybe next year. Okay?"

But Harry didn't want to answer because it wasn't okay. His list was perfect. He wanted a trainset and a mega block set. He wanted those along with a few other things. Why didn't Santa want to come to his house and give it to him? How was it that he could visit all the other kids and not him. It wasn't fair.

Before he knew it, he was crying onto his mother's chest. He could imagine how boring it would be waking up and not finding anything under the tree he helped his mother decorate. He could imagine going to school after Christmas break and not wanting to tell his schoolmates that he didn't get anything. He didn't like it at all. And so all he could do was cry onto his mother for the rest of the evening and let her rub soothing circles over his back.

★December 24, 2018★

Twenty four year old Harry sat down at the desk in his home and picked up the pen. He was about to write his letter to Santa, but he couldn't think of anything to put down for this year.

As he leaned back in the chair he was in, it reminded him of when he was little. He remembered being excited and rushing to write down everything he wanted, so he could send them to Santa in time before the deadline. Those were great, great memories. But then he remembered how he'd gone to the mall with his mother and put them in the bright red drop box just to wake up Christmas morning and find that beneath the tree was just as bare as the day before. He tried again, year after year and nothing had changed. Santa never came.