Part Twenty

“And they lived happily ever after.”

“Is that a true story, Grandpa?” My 6-year-old granddaughter asked me.

“You bet it is.” I smiled.

“I hope I find someone like that one day.” Mindy sighed. Mindy was my daughter’s child. Her mother, Victoria, named her after her grandmother. And as you guessed, Victoria was named after her grandmother.

“You will meet him one day.” I kissed her cheek and started to walk out of the room.

“Grandpa?” Mindy spoke out.

“Yes, dear?” I turned around and faced her.

“Are they still together?”

“The people in the story?” She shook her head. I smiled and looked at my feet.

“They sure are.” I turned off her bedroom light and closed the door. I walked into my room and saw her laying there. She was just as beautiful as she was the first day I met her. I replayed that memory in my head.

“Honey?” A voice brought me back into reality.

“I’m right here.” I ran to her side and held her hand.

“I think it’s time.” She whispered. A tear escaped my eye.

“No, don’t say that baby!” I cried.

“Just know that I love you. You were my first kiss, first hand to hold, first date, first time, but most importantly my first love. I feel honored to have been your wife. I love you and will be looking down on you from Heaven.” She gave me her weak smile. I kissed her with passion before I let her go. Her body was cold now.

“I love you too, Peyton.” I cried. She was strong. She battled with cancer for years and it was time for her to go. I’m not going to remarry. I only have room for Peyton in my heart. I called Victoria and her husband and told them the news. They left dinner and decided to come on home. Two days later, I watched as they lowered my wife into the ground.

“Hey, dad.” Victoria hugged me.

“I loved your mother with all my heart.”

“I know you did. I did too. We’re going to get through this. I know we are.” She pulled away from the hug and smiled.

“How you holding up, pa?” Alex, Victoria’s husband asked.

“I’m fine.” I faked a smile and hugged him. We started to walk back to the car. I saw something and it caught my eye. There were flowers on our hood.

“Roses.” I smiled.

“What?” Victoria asked.

“There are roses on our car. Your mother’s favorite flowers.” I picked them up and walked back to the grave.

“Here are your favorites. Red roses. They are beautiful. You are beautiful. I will never say you were, because you still live on in my heart and even in the grave you are beautiful.” I whispered to my dead wife’s grave. I kissed my hand and then touched the ground. I walked to the car and saw two grown men and a grown woman standing there.

“Hey, brother.” I looked and realized it was Romeo, Cruz, and Harper. I pulled them all into a tight group hug. The comfort of my family was very reassuring. I kissed Harper on the cheek. She wiped my tears and smiled at me. We went back home and shared fun memories along with Victoria and Alex. I didn’t mean to fall in love with Peyton. But when I did, boy, I am glad I did.

The End

Final A/N: So, I cried while writing this. No lie. Hope you loved this story. I love you guys! Mwah! Goodbye.