Part Four

-Monday- (Peyton's POV)

Brooklyn ignored me all match class. I thought we were just starting to be friends too.

"Brooklyn! Stop!" I shouted as he walked away.

"You!" I heard a voice call after me. I turned around and saw an angry Ashley walking towards me.

"Hey." I smiled.

"You're a whore!" She screamed.

"Excuse me?" I asked.

"You know I like Brooklyn! You still had to go and date him." She was yelling so loud. Her was all red.

"I'm not dating him!" I yelled back.

"Stop lying!" She pushed me to the ground. I ran away before she could hit me. It was hard because there was a big group that had formed. I ran and didn't stop until I accidentally ran into someone.

"You okay?" The person helped me up.

"Yeah." I wiped my tears away. I looked up and saw it was Brooklyn.

"Come with me." He took me to this gazebo out in the garden.

"What about class?" I sniffed.

"We'll skip. Talk about it." He said as he sat down on the swing. I sat next to him.

"Ashley thinks we're dating, so she hates me." I looked down at my hands.

"Why should she care?"

"She's had this huge crush on you for like ever." I looked at him.

"Oh, go on." He added.

"And you ignored me all class. I thought we were friends. I guess I'm back to be the friendless loser." I started crying again.

"Hey, don't cry." He begged.

"All girls on my football team hate me. I don't know why, but I hate Travis! He hasn't done anything. He's much better for my mom than my dad ever was. So, why do I hate him." I shut up before i could say anything else.

"Why do you always talk like that?" Brooklyn asked.

"About my dad?" I questioned. He shook his head. I took a deep sigh and told my story.

"He was a drunk. My mom tried to get him to stop. He hit her. Finally, I called the cops. He got mad at me and slapped me across the face. All I remember is that I fell on the ground and hit my head. Then, everything went black. I woke up in the hospital with my mom next to me. She was still out, though. A few days later, we went to court to testify against him. He was found guilty and went to jail. I still have nightmares that he'll get out and find us." Brooklyn pulled me into a hug.

"I'm sorry. How long does he have?" He asked.

"I don't remember. It was nine years ago."

"You were six?!" Brooklyn jumped up.

"Yeah." I sniffed.

"I should probably explain why I ignored you. My crazy ex, Tiffany, is back and I was stressed." Brooklyn sat back down.

"That's the reason?" I gave a little laugh.

"Yeah, not much of a reason, huh?" He laughed.

"It's not."

"Sorry." He smiled at me.

"Well, what now? We can't go to our class now and I really don't want to go to the rest." I sighed.

"Then, we are having a skip day." He suggested.

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah, come on." He stood up and trailed off. I quickly followed him down the road to his house. Brooklyn started running towards the door.

"After you." He opened the door.

"Why, thank you." I did a curtsey and laughed. As soon as we walked in, a blonde girl ran and jumped into Brooklyn's arms.

"Brooklyn!" She kissed his cheek.

"Tiffany." He put her down right away.

"Oh. Who's this?" She asked with disgust.

"I'm Peyton." I answered.

"A friend." Brooklyn corrected. I rolled my eyes as she walked into the kitchen. Brooklyn laughed at me then followed Tiffany into the kitchen. Victoria and David were sitting at the table with two other adults.

"What are you doing home?" David asked.

"Half day." Brooklyn lied.

"I didn't know that." Victoria looked up.

"We'll be upstairs working on a project for school." Brooklyn and I headed upstairs.

"You just lied twice." I laughed. Brooklyn laughed at me. I noticed his guitar for the first time. I jumped off the bed and ran over to it.

"You play?" I exclaimed. He nodded. He walked over to me and picked it up.

"Wanna hear?" He did a shy smile.

"Yes, please." I smiled. I followed him back to the bed and sat down. He started to play "When I Was Your Man" on his guitar. I sang the lyrics as he played the song. I hadn't sung in front of a person in so long. I was scared I had a horrible voice. But since he didn't stop to tell me to shut up, I guess I was an okay singer.

"Do all the things I should have done

When I was your man

Do all the things I should have done

When I was your man." I sang the last line of the song. Brooklyn put the guitar down on the bed.

"You have a beautiful voice." Brooklyn quietly said.

"Thanks." I started blushing. Brooklyn looked down at his hands for a little bit. He looked back up at me and stared into my eyes. He looked at my lips for a while. Why was he staring at my lips? He seemed to start to lean in for a kiss.

"Brooklyn?" A voice at the door interuptted. Brooklyn looked back at the person and sighed. Of course, Tiffany. She walked in and sat on Brooklyn's lap. She gave me this dirty look when she did it. Was Brooklyn really about to kiss me? Why would he want to kiss me? He doesn't feel that way about me. Does he?