Part Eight

~Next Day~(Brooklyn’s POV)

Peyton wasn’t at school today. I got a little scared. She probably just got sick last minute. It was weird eating dinner without her. A girl walked up to my table and sat by me.

“Hey, Brooklyn.” She giggled.

“Hi?”

“So, I’m having a little trouble in math. Do you think you could help me?” She asked.

“I guess.” I answered.

“Come over to my house after school?” She asked.

“Actually, I’m going to my girlfriend’s house to check on her after school.” She rolled her eyes. She wrote her number on a piece of paper and handed it to me.

“Ashley, come on!” Her friend yelled. She winked at me and then ran off. Why does she look so familiar? I don’t know, but I just can’t wait for school to be over, so I can go see Peyton.

~After school~

I started to walk towards Peyton’s house.

“Brooklyn!” I heard someone shout. I turned around and saw Ashley trying to run toward me. She was wearing heels, so it was pretty funny to see her run in them.

“Yeah?” I shouted back.

“You ready to tutor?” She asked.

“I told you not tonight.” I started to walk faster.

“Wait, you were serious?” She stopped.

“Yes, I was.” I kept walking. She just stood there. I heard her scream with her mouth closed. I ignored her and kept walking. I soon made it to Peyton’s house. I knocked on the door and waited for someone to answer. No one answered after a little bit. I knocked again. Finally, Travis opened the door slowly.

“Brooklyn? Please, come in.” He opened the door all the way. I walked inside and said hello to Mindy.

“Why did you come here?” Mindy asked as she gave me a hug.

“I was concerned for Peyton since she wasn’t at school.” I answered. She pulled away and smiled.

“She hasn’t left her room since last night. She hasn’t eaten today either.” Mindy said slowly. I began to feel even more concerned. I ran upstairs as soon as she said that. I knocked on the door. She didn’t answer. I opened the door and walked in.

“Peyton?” I asked. She was sitting at her desk working on something. I walked over to get a better look at what she was working on. She was drawing a ton of pictures and had a few that were already finished. They were great. I didn’t know that she was talented in art too. I put my hand on her shoulder to get her attention. She screamed and fell off her chair. She started to crawl backwards away from me.

“Hey, what’s the matter?” I got on the floor and pulled her close. She realized it was me and started hugging me. She started to cry. I held her close.

“He’s back.” She cried.

“Who is, baby?” I asked.

“My dad.” I pulled her closer. She hugged me tighter.

“He’s out of jail?” I asked.

“Here. In London.” She whispered.

 “Peyton, what do you mean?” I looked her in the eyes.

“He was released from jail two days ago and he somehow found out we were in London.”

“Baby, you aren’t safe here.” I said.

“Well we can’t go anywhere else.”

“Come stay with me! You’ll be safe with me. Just for a little bit.” I suggested.

“That would just put you in danger.” She added.

“Peyton, I don’t want you to get hurt.” She looked away for a while.

“You’re just down the street, we’ll be fine.” She whispered. I looked at her with disbelief. She started to cry again.

“Don’t cry, beautiful.” I wiped her tears. I gave her a kiss and then hugged her. We went downstairs to get some food in her stomach. You could really see the fear in Peyton and Mindy’s eyes. They were terrified of this man. I was going to make sure, not matter what, I would be helpful. I was going to make them feel safe.

~The Next Day~(Peyton’s POV)

I skipped school again. I was too scared to look out my window! I couldn’t step foot in the streets knowing my dad was out there looking for us. I don’t know what would happen if he found us. Travis had a meeting to go to at about noon. So, it was just me and my mom. Home alone. I was really considering calling David and asking if he and Victoria could come over while he was gone. I figured they were busy with other things. Travis wasn’t supposed to be home for another two hours. I heard a bang downstairs. I slowly grabbed my phone. If I heard a scream, I was to go into my bathroom, lock the door, and call 911. Some people might think we are overreacting, but if a grown man was looking for you after getting out of jail, would you do this too? I heard a scream from my mom. I wanted to go and save her, but Travis and my mom were clear on what I was supposed to do. I ran and did what I was supposed to do. I explained what was going on to the police and they said they’d be there very soon. I hung up. I heard yelling from downstairs. They argued for a while. Silence. 5 minutes later, I heard footsteps coming up the stairs. I heard him yelling. Yelling my name. I tried to be quiet. I tried to keep my tears in. He walked into my room. I heard him throwing things around. Where was the police? He started banging on the bathroom door. He kicked it open and stood there. There was my dad. Drunk as usual. I crawled under his legs and ran. I made it to the stairs before he grabbed my arm and squeezed it hard. I let out a loud scream. The next thing happened so quickly. He let go. I thought he was just going to let me go. He raised his arm and slapped me across the face. I fell backwards. Down the stairs I flew. Then, everything went black.

A/N: So, this chapter was darkish. Hope you guys liked it! I'll update soon. Promise:)