Part Nine

~Same day~(Brooklyn’s POV)

Peyton wasn’t at school again. At least now I know why. Math was so boring without her. I missed eating dinner with her also. I got to my next class and sat at the desk.

“Brooklyn, you’re needed in the office.” My teacher told me. I wonder what that’s about. I didn’t do anything that would’ve gotten me in trouble. I grabbed my stuff and rolled my eyes at the kids who were “oooing”. I knocked on the head master’s door and walked in. I saw my mum sitting there crying. My dad was comforting her.

“What’s going on?” I asked.

“Peyton is in the hospital.” My mum cried.

“What?” I asked.

“Her dad found where they live. He beat Peyton and Mindy up.” My dad added.

“I knew she should’ve stayed with us! She said she’d be safe! Why did I let her do that?” I screamed.

“Hey, baby, come here.” My mom pulled me into a hug. I started to cry. I was going to make sure she was safe. I failed.

“Do you want to go visit her?” My dad asked. I nodded. I grabbed my stuff and walked out of the car. We stopped and got Romeo and Cruz too. We arrived at the hospital in no time. I practically ran in there. We told the lady at the front desk who were here to see and she told us the room she was in. We rode the elevator up to the floor she was on and walked into her room. She was laying on the bed sleeping. She had her left arm in a sling and her right leg in a cast. She had this huge red mark on her face.

“She’s still sleeping.” Mindy said as she hugged us. Mindy didn’t look too beaten up. She had a few cuts and bruises but nothing serious, unlike Peyton. The doctor soon walked in.

“Oh, hello. I’m Doctor Reynolds. Where is Peyton’s family?” He asked. Mindy shook his hand and introduced Travis.

“These are the Beckhams. They are family friends.” Mindy added.

“Nice to meet you. Now, on to the point. Your daughter is in a coma.” I felt my heart sink down. I looked at Peyton. She looked so peacefully. I walked over to her and sat in the chair next to her. The doctor and Mindy talked some more, but all I heard was “Blah Blah Blah.”

“How long will she be out?” I interrupted.

“You must be her best friend.” The doctor gave a little smile.

“Boyfriend.” I didn’t take my eyes off of Peyton for a second.

“Well, she could be out for days, weeks, possibly even months. She didn’t hit her head too hard so we aren’t expecting for her to be out for a month. Maybe a week or more. We also aren’t expecting any brain damage but we can never be sure.” The doctor went on. I felt the tears form in my eyes again. I tried to blink them away, but it didn’t work. I just let them come out. My dad came over and gave me a hug. What I wondered was why was Peyton hurt more than Mindy? Not that I was upset Mindy was hurt too bad. Just why would he beat one of them more than the other?
“Mindy, not to be rude, but why is Peyton more broken than you?” I asked once the doctor left.

“I keep asking myself that question over and over again. I should’ve been the one in the coma. Not my sweet angel.” She held back tears.

“Can I stay here until she leaves?” I asked. Surprisingly, my parents said yes. My dad said he’d bring me some clothes. I was not going to leave Peyton’s side. I wanted to be one of the first people she sees when she wakes up. I sent a quick text to Ashley saying tutoring was off and to get a new tutor. I don’t want anything to come between Peyton and me. It was just going to be us. Us against the world.