"We can stay home," Jungkook suggested, and Namjoon nodded.

"All right. I'll call in your absence. Lock the doors after we leave and call me if you have any problems, okay? There's plenty of food in the fridge and in the cabinets." He told Jungkook a few more things that Jungkook didn't really pay attention to before they all left, the hyungs looking somewhat concerned but unable to do anything as they followed Namjoon out to the car. Tae in particular gave both Jungkook and Jimin a look, only the look he gave to Jimin was a lot nicer than the look he gave to Jungkook.

Then they were all alone.

***

"Kookie?" Jimin asked after half an hour of silence, having already forgotten about Jungkook's warning earlier to forget about the nickname. "Do you want to do something?"

Jungkook looked up at Jimin for the first time that day. He studied the soft contours of Jimin's face, the way Jimin's cheeks weren't as chubby as they were back then but still a little. "No," he finally said, looking back down at the book he was reading.

"Oh." Jimin hesitated, unsure of how to act. This was a different Kookie than the shy, innocent one he'd known who had always wanted to make friends, even if he was a little scared. "I...I really like the book you're reading," he said, trying to connect with Kookie, who looked up again in annoyance.

"Okay? Great," he muttered, looking back down at the book.

Jimin was silent for another ten minutes, curled at the edge of the couch, hugging the same pillow he'd been hugging before Hobi had taken him to Wonpil's party. "Kookie?"

"What is it now?" Jungkook snapped, setting his book down and crossing his arms.

"Thanks for bringing me back home," Jimin said softly, biting his lip and staring at Jungkook.

Jungkook swallowed, his anger dissipating slowly as it was replaced with confusion. "What?"

"Tae told me," Jimin said. "That you told the police something that helped them find me," he said, looking down with a small smile at the pillow he was squishing. "You saved me. I'm so glad you were there that day, Jungkook, or else they might never have found me."

"Tae told you that?" Jungkook finally responded.

What is Tae trying to do? How is he going to use this to make me look like a monster? What else did he tell Jimin?

"Yeah," Jimin said, looking up happily. "You saved me, Kookie."

Jungkook couldn't stop himself from shaking his head slowly as he watched the smile slowly slip from Jimin's lips. "No I didn't."

"Kookie? What do you-"

"The day you were taken," Jungkook said, the book forgotten. "I was playing a game with the other kids."

"The girls," Jimin said, giggling slightly.

"We were playing a game of favorites," Jungkook went on, ignoring Jimin's interruption. "They asked me who my favorite brother was."

Jimin just watched and listened, unsure where Jungkook was going with this.

"And I told them anyone but you."

Jimin's lips parted, but no words came out, his eyes reflecting only confusion and slight pain.

"Everybody always spoiled you. They always treated you the best. Because you're sensitive, they'd say. He can't help it, they'd say. They'd always pay extra attention to you. They'd always love  you more."