Chapter 77

Sam's POV

I'm sitting in the bleachers at the ballpark watching Kevin play Little League Baseball. It is the beginning of Fall Ball. He's up to bat and Liam talks him up before he steps up to the plate. Diana looks up from my iPad to join me in cheering Kevin on.

Kevin watches the first ball go by and the umpire calls it a ball. He swings at the second pitch and misses. He swings again at the third, two strikes.

Diana and I are clapping and yelling words of encouragement. The fourth pitch gets thrown and "crack!", he makes contact. He runs his fastest to first base just touching the base in time by the hair of his chinny chin chin and gets called safe.

Liam looks over at me, pretends to wipe sweat from his brow, and lets out a sigh of relief. He, then, bends down to talk to the next batter. Liam's newest title today, Coach Payne. It suits him.

As the next batter is up, Liam gives Kevin the steal sign and Kevin takes off running to second base. I move to the edge of my seat. He definitely isn't the fastest kid on the team.

"Hit the dirt!" Liam yells and Kevin responds by sliding. The umpire calls him safe.

Liam looks back up at me puffing out his cheeks as he lets out another sigh of relief that ends in a smile.

Kevin stands up grinning attempting to dust off his pants that used to be white.

Kevin is thrown out at third base in the next play. He hangs his head as he heads back to the dig out. Liam stops him, says some encouraging words with his hand on Kevin's shoulder, and sends him back to the dugout feeling a little better.

My phone vibrates in my pocket. I pull it out of my pocket and it's a text from Harry. I check the time and it is about that time where he's getting off of work, another school year has started.

I pull up the text and my heart sinks immediately by two lonely letters, "Hi". Something's not right.

He has always started his texts by calling me beautiful for as long as I can remember.

"What's wrong?" I immediately ask.

"Do you have a second?" He questions.

"Yes. Everything okay?"

"Not really."

"Are you okay?" What in the hell is going on?!

"I will be." He responds.

Why is he talking in such code?!

"???" is all I text back. I am so damn confused.

About ten minutes pass without a response from Harry and Diana snaps me back into reality.

"Mommy, I have to go to the bathroom."

I make my way to the restrooms with her in tow. I feel a vibration in my pocket. It's about fucking time!

As I wait for Diana, I check my phone.

"Katherine and I had a huge fight last night. A few things came out. I need to focus on things here. I'm so sorry but we can't talk anymore." He informs.

I feel like someone has punched me in the stomach. My heart sinks. We've stopped talking before but this feels so final. Deep down inside, I have a sneaking suspicion it is.

How do I respond to that? Focus on things there? I thought he was and maintaining a friendship. We're both married and our families take priority over our friendship. If Liam found out, I would probably be the one texting him similar words right now. I can respect his decision but I don't have to like it.

"I'm sorry." comes from him across my phone.

I begin to move my thumbs over the keyboard of my phone and try to choose my words carefully. There are so many unanswered questions that I have. I can't just not respond.

"I understand. You know where to find me." I hit send. What else do I say?

Nothing else was sent back and forth. I really hope he's okay.

I quickly hop onto my social media and unfriend/unfollow him. Not knowing the situation, I don't need a crazy Katherine sending me threatening stuff. I don't block him. Part of me still wants to make sure he's going to be all right.

* * * *

5 years later

I stare at my laptop flipping through pictures from Kevin's 8th grade graduation ceremony. I find a handful and post them online to share with friends and family across social media.

I search Harry's name to check up on his accounts. I tend to do that from time to time. We haven't spoken since that day at Kevin's baseball game.

He posted a couple pictures two weeks ago. Wow! His girls are getting big!...and he looks happy. That warms my heart. Although I will never truly understand the magnitude of what was said between he and his wife, it appears that ceasing our friendship helped it. They are still together. I smile at the screen.

I log out and head out for my lunch date with Liam. To this day, he still doesn't know about any part of reconnecting with Harry all those years ago. I decided to keep it that way. Liam is a great dad and an amazing husband. I would never want him to feel any less than that. He is my other half.

I climb into my car and speed off towards Liam's work.

Harry's POV

I analyze the pictures. Sam still looks really good. I glance down at the caption "Kevin's 8th grade promotion". Holy shit?! Already?! She uploaded these pictures only an hour ago.

I still creep on her accounts. I can't help it. I miss her. As time has passed, I don't think of her as frequently...maybe a couple times a week. She still haunts me in my dreams two to three times a month. Some are memories replaying themselves and others are fantasies my subconscious tells me I want.

I had to let her go. Katherine made it perfectly clear that my head wasn't where my priorities should be. She was right. I needed to focus on the present and not attempt to relive the past.

I often wonder how things would have turned out had I let Sam in on my feelings...had I let myself in on them!

I look back at the pictures and focus on one of her with Liam and the kids. I just stare at her....the one that I let get away...my favorite mistake.

THE END