Chapter 1- In Which We Are Introduced to the Main Character

I opened the battered rusty First-Aid kit. I pulled out a square of gauze for the little boy's knee. "Paul, you have got to stop tripping over that one step." I murmured in Swahili. He gave a shy reply. We kept talking softly as I patched him up and sent him back to his friends. 

        Standing up, I closed the container, and wiped my hands on my shorts. I flexed my hands, watching the metal claws slide out over my knuckles. I went back into the small building reserved for medical use. I slowly wash my hands in the trickle of water from the dimly shiny sink. I sighed. I could never save all of these people. We had had a recent epidemic of radical malaria sweep the area. I had used all of my supplies on it. All of it. 

        The growl of a small plane engine caught my attention. I ran out of the hut and towards the dirt air strip. Ebony skinned children ran through the grass ahead of me. They knew what was coming. The pilot often brought them sweets. However, I was more interested in the medical supplies he was going to ferry in from our government. 

        Kenya wasn't the best country, but it was my home. Instead of just the pilot, another man stepped out of the plane. The kids swarmed him, digging in his khaki pockets for sweets of any kind. I saw a few bright wrappers flash from the few he had. One of the children came and gave me a... Jolly Rancher? "Asante." I told them before heading over to the pilot. 

        " 'Ello Ruari. Lovely day, isn't it?"

        "Yes, it is. Do you-"

        "Sure thing Miss Logan. And a visitor to see you ." He jerks his thumb at the man, and then yanks two cases out of the tiny carry compartment. I open the small crates to find all the supplies I need. 

        "Thank you so much, Hansford. Thank you." I muttered as I sifted through the supplies. He nodded and went to do a routine check of his plane. The man walked over to me. 

        "Hello, I'm Steve Rodgers."

        I nod and motion for him to carry one of the crates. "I'm Ruari. I'm the med in this village. We have a daktari too, but she isn't much good." 

        "Daktari?" He asks. 

        "Doctor. Witch doctor?" 

        "Oh. Them. Which part of Africa is this? Was this conquered by Mussolini?" He asks, looking around as we lug the plastic crates back to the village. 

        "This is Kenya. May I ask your purpose for being here, Mr. Rodgers?" 

        "Well... An agency called SHIELD has asked me to recruit you for services." I straightened. SHIELD huh?

        " That's wonderful! You can tell them that I won't be coming, and yes, I do know that they have been keeping track of me. I'm not stupid."  I began shelving the various items. Syringes over here.... Needles over here... Solutions went under the counter. I took the crate from him. 

        "Ma'am. We need you. Please. This is your chance to save the world."

        "Save the world? What about my world, did you ever think of that, sir? My world, my beautiful world, is right here among my people."

        "Your people? You're not black, just very tan."

        "I've found that you can be familia with anyone if you choose to look beyond skin colour. Please excuse me, I've got to go see this cow-" I squeezed past him, the First Aid tin in my hand. 

        " If you don't come with me, and give us a chance to save the world.... then you won't have this one left to save." 

        A knot inside of my chest twisted so tight I almost gasped. Leave my familia? My watu? My matumaini? I sighed. "Alright. Just let me treat this cow."

        "I'm sorry, I'm afraid it's immediate." He pulls a cell phone out of his pocket and scowls at it, slowly pressing the buttons. "What- No, I don't want pizza- I'm sorry, wrong number-" He tried again. "Ah, yes, Natasha. Yes.. please do Miss. Thank you." He smiles. "Our ride will be here in a minute." 

A/N: Any words that aren't English are Swahili. :D Tell me if you like it!