Chapter 5

Lauren took her iPhone out of Camila's hands smiling as she saw the brown eyed girl's number in her contacts. Her smile dropped once she read her notifications.

6 Missed Calls From Dad

From Dad:
Wheer are yu

From Dad:
Come hme

From Dad:
I nt done wit you

4 More Texts From Dad

"I wish he would just go away sometimes," Lauren muttered rubbing her face.

"Your dad?" Camila asked cautiously.

"Yeah," Lauren answered handing Camila her phone to see the messages. "He's so drunk he can't even spell...and once I get home I'm gonna have to deal with it even more."

Camila thought,'you leave her to go home to her father...or she stays at your place.' She went with the latter,"do you want to...I don't know, s-stay at my place?" She asked nervously, cursing herself for stuttering.

Lauren focused her green eyes on the table,"would it be to much trouble?"

"No, my little sister is staying with my cousin and it gets a little lonely being there by myself," Camila admitted discreetly wiping her sweaty palms on her jeans. "We'd have to leave soon though, it's a pretty long walk."

"I don't even have anything to wear tomorrow or tonight," Lauren pointed out.

"I have plenty of stuff for you to choose from. Come on, stop fighting me on this, we both know you want to stay over. It would get you some time away from your dad," Camila tried to convince Lauren despite how pathetic she was sounding to herself.

"Fine," Lauren huffed,"can we go now?"

"Yeah, that's perfect," Camila said in a happier tone than she planned.

***

Camila and Lauren headed out of the building and ended up walking on a poor excuse for a sidewalk with little pebbles and chunks of cement scattered about. They hadn't spoken much since they left, enjoying the comfortable silence under the night sky. Lauren watched Camila out of the corner of her eye for the last two minutes, the shorter girl's bottom lip had been trapped between her teeth for quite some time. "Why are you biting your lip?" She asked, making Camila release her now reddish lip from her teeth.

"W-what?" Camila asked frantically, her unwanted nervous habit noticed.

"You've been practically eating your lip since we started walking," Lauren teased smiling.

What Camila wanted to say: Is it a such crime for me to bite my lip? Especially when a really pretty girl that just so happens to be more beautiful than the stars right now is walking next to me. Looking at me with those glittering emerald eyes that make you want to tell everything to their even more gorgeous owner. Also, when that girl is making me feel pretty fucking gay right now and I don't know if I even actually like girls, but I really want to hold her hand and kiss her.

What Camila said: "I...uh...it tastes good."

She immediately face palmed,"Jesus, that's not what I meant it was just the-"

"It's okay Camz," Lauren reassured trying to hold back her snickering. Camila found comfort in Lauren's use of the nickname she had given her earlier. "I've had the same thing happen to me plenty of times."

Camila simply nodded and hung her head unsure of how to respond after her awkward moment. Her hand bumped into the other girl's and Lauren entwined their fingers. Their hands swung back and forth a few times, both trying to ignore the fire raging in their palms. "Thank you," Camila said just above a whisper.