Chapter 8

Camila walked into the English room on the fateful Monday morning she had been dreading. Just to look up to find Lauren sitting in her normal desk. Still possessing the traits Camila had personally named in her off time. Beautiful, adorable, imaginative, funny, enticingly dorky, and everything in between. Dressed so casually in Vans, black skinny jeans, and a new Lana Del Rey shirt promoting her new album. Camila almost scoffed and walked out of the room, how was she to let down this girl again. Let her come up to her desk to strike up conversation after yesterday's downfall with those hopeful eyes filled with different shades of green, grey, and blue. Only to be turned away a second later.

Camila tried her best to ignore the smile Lauren was sporting. Utterly failing in the end and biting her lip to conceal the grin working its way onto her face. She plopped herself into her usual seat in the back. Camila focused all of her inner strength to try and talk to Lauren through telekinesis; desperate at this point to explain herself to the other girl. 'Lauren, if in some magical way can you actually hear me. Please forgive me for being the biggest asshole in the world. You know I'm actually trying to save your life. Crazy right? I think I'm going even crazier than that if that's even possible.' Camila verbally laughed at herself, she was pathetic. She was an undercover knight in shining armor, and Lauren was her princess.

The last time Camila had seen Lauren besides this morning was when she had a sad look on her face yesterday. After a few minutes of hearing her talk quietly with the other girl and look at her quickly before turning away Camila got up and left. She had no idea how Lauren actually felt. Being hopeful and noticing the smile she received a few minutes ago she hoped Lauren might be alright. Although the overpowering negativity in her head told her that Lauren wanted nothing to do with her and that Lauren's just the kind of nice person to greet her with smile despite their previous encounter.

Mr. Smith walked into the room and offered the usual,'good morning.' Making everyone sigh, mumble, or groan a very depressing,'good morning Mr. Smith.' Camila just stifled her yawn, her previous night being a long one after picking her little sister up from her cousin's house. Listening to the little girl go on and on about her days at Disney Land for hours until she finally fell asleep on the couch.

"I have a special not-really-a-pop-quiz-pop-quiz in store for you guys today." Mr. Smith laughed as he took his seat at his desk. Mr. Smith was the definition of an old fashioned cliche teacher. Gelled hair with dashes of white and grey, a good hearted yellow smile, and classic charisma. He was fond of making up different 'fun' activities for the class. "I want all of you to read the first paragraph of your essays to the class."

Camila choked. Of all things he could come up with, that had to be on his agenda. With the least enthusiasm Camila could muster she snagged her folder out of her binder and pulled out the pristine paper. Covered with words all about the girl sitting a few rows in front of her.

"Alright, Jason Abbot you're up," Mr. Smith said leaning back in his black leather chair.

Camila had luckily been able to drown out the sounds of her classmate's monotone speaking. Directing her thoughts towards the fact that she sucked at talking in front of people. She wiped her sweaty palms on her jeans. She tried to be an optimist, hoping that if she looked over everyone's head and just read the words clearly without stuttering she could make her way back to her seat confidently.

"Camila Cabello," snapped her out of her thoughts.

She suddenly hated the fact that her last name started with 'c.' After reluctantly getting up out her seat she made her way to the room. 'God, I'm sweating through the paper.' She thought to herself before taking center stage in front of her classmates.

Camila took a deep breath and started reading. "I have discovered that Lauren Jauregui cannot be defined. She is full of surprises. One moment full of confidence and charm, another goofy and carefree." Camila found herself cringing at the words and wishing she has stayed home this morning. "She is full of eloquent thoughts and sometimes painfully cheesy jokes. Each of which I have been lucky enough to hear."

Camila handed her paper to Mr. Smith and walked back to her seat with her eyes on the ground. 'That had to be the worst paragraph you've ever written. Lauren probably thinks you're an idiot,' Camila internally groaned. Camila rested her head in her arms and hoped her next classmate's words were worse than her own. She sat up once Lauren's name was called, only to sink back into her chair when she made eye contact with her. Guilt washed over her as she gave Lauren her attention.

Lauren ran a hand through her hair and began. "Where do I begin with Camila Cabello? In a very short number of days she has become the biggest inspiration in my life. She has to handle tasks like paying bills, buying groceries, and taking care of her younger sister everyday without complaining. Despite the hardships she deals with day to day she is still humorous, incredibly thoughtful, and a beautiful light to everybody around her."

Lauren handed her paper to the teacher and took her seat while Camila's jaw physically dropped. She felt so inconsiderate, her writing was trash compared to Lauren's. Camila banged her head lightly against the metal desk a few times.

"Are you okay?" Camila shot up at Lauren's voice.

Giving in to the green eyed girl she sighed,"no."

"That's lovely, I'm glad you haven't turned me away yet," Lauren said smiling down at Camila.

Camila almost squinted at the brightness of Lauren's smile. "I'm sorry."

"For what?" Lauren asked furrowing her eyebrows.

She didn't know what to say besides,"I can't talk to you anymore."

AN: I know this chapter is very short lived but it's 1:44 A.M., I'm listening to heavy metal music to keep me awake, I can't eat or drink anything because I brushed my teeth so that sucks, and I already updated today. Goodnight and thank you for reading, it really means a lot.

P.S. Of Mice and Men are the shit. So if you want to bless your ears go listen to them.