Chapter 34:

Lauren's POV:

Our magazine got published after I'd come up with an idea that combined three pieces of artwork; considering I couldn't decide between two. Ty had been helping me the whole time (with him also being graphic designer) and we combined the two pieces before I doodled a little something to finish it off. The magazine was a massive hit and sold over 20,000 copies. In order to celebrate, Shaun threw a massive party at his friend's penthouse and had surprised me by flying my little brother out.

"How are things with you and Camila now?" Chris sipped on his drink and asked the question cautiously. I'd told him about Camila and I calling things off but I'd also told him about the texts the Cuban had sent me.

"I thought things were okay, but she said that we'd talk after work yesterday and I haven't heard from her since. I guess she just got cold feet." I shared with a sigh. I didn't want to be the one texting Camila all the time but that was just because I was stubborn – Camila wasn't, so I was disappointed after not hearing from her.

"I'm sure she'll come round." My younger brother smiled reassuringly, putting his arm around my neck and bringing me in for a hug and a kiss on the forehead.

-

The rest of the night was tame which I was happy about. Chris stood by me the whole time and I knew it was because he was shy, even though he consistently claimed that he wasn't. We were occupied with talking to Shaun and Ty when my phone started to ring. I quickly excused myself and wandered onto the balcony, pulling my the device out my purse and reading the caller ID: Camila.

"Hey." I made my way to the corner away from the loud drunks that were stood in the doorway.

"Hi." I heard her reply bluntly. "What're you doing?"

"The magazine I helped put together sold 20,000 copies, so Shaun through a celebratory party." I explained, edging closer to the railing over the balcony.

"That sounds fun. Are you enjoying it?"

"Chris surprised me by coming – so I think that has made my entire tonight."

"Wow. I'm really happy for you. It sounds like you have it all out there." The Cuban released a sad laugh.

Everything but you. I thought.

"It's treating me alright." I ran my finger along the rain droplets that had made their home on the railing.

"When are you due home?" Camila asked.

The truth was, it was August 26th and I was supposed to be coming back home September 5th – but Ty had revealed to me this morning that he heard Shaun speaking with the boss about keeping me on for the one year contract due to the record amount of sales on the latest magazine, which I had a key role in. I didn't think it was the right time to share that with Camila.

"September 5th."

I heard some shuffling on her end before she spoke again. "Do you think I could maybe grab a coffee with you?" The younger woman's voice sounded insecure which made me wince.

"Absolutely. When?"

"How about...right now?" I heard her smile and was confused as to why I was hearing her voice not only through the speaker but right behind me. I spun around to see the Cuban stood in the doorway of the apartment with her phone pressed against her ear and her bottom lip between her teeth.

I felt my legs turn to jelly as my phone almost slipped from my shaky hand. "Holy shit." I whispered.

"Surprised?" Camila laughed as she placed her phone in her bag and started making her way over to me.