Chapter 8:

Lauren's POV:

September 3rd.  A day I'd remember for awhile.

It had been a week since Camila and I had dinner at my place. We went to brunch a few days later, but since then we'd just spoke through texts and when we saw each other at work.

Summer was coming to an end now, and the weather that morning was showing it. It was foggy and dull. In the air was the stench of dead leaves and rainfall. I rolled my eyes at the sight and smell outside of my open window before getting myself ready for the dreaded walk to work.

I was eventually a few steps away from my destination and was trying to get a look into Camila's store, like I always did, to see if she had arrived yet. I saw a figure leaving the florist, but it wasn't Camila's. I immediately frowned and checked the time, realizing that Camila wasn't open for business yet which meant the person leaving was a visitor and not a customer. Before I had time to process any further, the figure was stood in front of me.

The stranger smiled up at me like she knew me. I met her brown eyes that were so dark they might as well of been black. Her well-conditioned hair, an ombre of blonde and brown, was tied half-up; half-down and she was using her index finger to curl the ends of it. I vaguely recognized her, but not enough to know her name. The stranger staring expectantly at me was honestly quite beautiful.

"Hi," Her soft voice suddenly addressed me.

"Hello...do I know you?" I replied, trying my best to take in her features to see if I could register who she was. A client? Somebody I went to school with? A neighbour?

"Oh right, I'm sorry." She released a small laugh before tucking a piece of her hair behind her ear and then fidgeted nervously with the worn sleeves of her beige sweater. "I'm Ariana, Camila's girlfriend."

Wait, what?

"Are you okay?" Ariana asked after a few seconds of silence, cautiously grabbing hold of my arm. I must've looked like I'd seen a ghost. I felt the upper-half of my body begin to sway as my knees become shaky.

"I'm fine," I pulled my arm away harshly. I felt dizzy. My mind started going to so many places as it tried to take in the new information. Eventually, it all began to click. The phone calls and the text messages Camila always seemed to get minutes before leaving me started racing all around my brain, like it was showing me every single time I should've realized this.

"I have to get to work." My voice came out in a whisper as I tried to get back the breath that had been knocked out of me by the words Camila's girlfriend had just spoken. I saw Ariana pull out her phone, probably to call for help, and regretfully saw her lock screen, which happened to be a photo of her and Camila that seemed to be taken awhile ago.

I needed to get out of here

"Wait," Ariana pulled me back gently by my arm after I'd abruptly started walking away. "Are you sure you're okay?"