"Well - technically you can, you are an adult now, so if you leave there is nothing she can do about it," Pete pointed out, "but I know you, and you're too good of a person to do that to her, so if you want my opinion, I think you have to go back at some point. That doesn't mean you should forgive her though, in fact, I'd give her the silent treatment until she offers up an apology if anything."

"Which she might never do," Frank replied harshly. "I guess what stings the most is knowing that my mother literally loathes a man she adored just because he's gay, and then I start thinking how she would treat me if she knew I was too. I'll never be able to change her mind on that, but I want to."

"I wish you could too Frank, I really do, you don't deserve to be looked down on by anyone, especially your mother. Just remember that she's not right, and even if you can never prove that to her, you're amazing no matter who you like. You're a wonderful son, and she's lucky to have you in her life. If she was a decent person, she'd accept you as you are without question, but for now, you have me, and Gerard, and even your dad if you want to see him, and we all support you no matter what."

"Thanks, I think I needed to hear that," Frank smiled, that fact that Pete had included Gerard in his list of people without grimacing causing the expression to bloom on his face easily. "I think you're right though, I do have to go home soon, but if she thinks I'm going to act like nothing has happened, she has another thing coming. I'll have to give some more thought to what to do about my dad, maybe I'll just text him or something and see if he answers and then go from there."

"You're welcome Frank," Pete grinned, "and I meant it, I'm always here for you no matter what, and if you don't want to be at home at any time, you can always come here."

"That means a lot to me Pete, it really does," Frank reiterated for the millionth time, but he wanted Pete to know that he truly was grateful for his presence in his life.

He might not be around as much lately because of Gerard, but Pete was his best friend, he always had been, and Frank had been making sure to reassure Pete of that as well, especially since things between them had shifted slightly thanks to recent events.

Frank honestly had no idea if Pete still had a crush on him, or if he ever truly did. He didn't want to bring that topic back up just in case Pete got defensive, but Frank had managed to convince himself it was mostly just Pete wanting to help him combined with the platonic affection that they both felt for each other. He just couldn't imagine Pete being properly in love with him, or maybe it was that he couldn't see himself ever being in love with Pete, but either way, Pete hadn't mentioned it again, so Frank had chosen to leave that delicate subject buried until it was forgotten about entirely.

"So what about you, anything new in your life?" Frank asked to break the silence when it stretched a bit too long to be comfortable.

"Nah," Pete answered with a yawn. "School is boring, Andy is thinking about shaving his head but he hasn't done it yet, and Mom still won't let me get a dog even though I promised to do all the work."

"You're still trying to change her mind on that?" Frank giggled. "You know she's allergic."

"Yes, but I found out that poodles don't carry any dander or whatever the fuck it is that makes people react to them, so I suggested we get one of those so she wouldn't have an issue, and she still said no."

"You seriously want a poodle?" Frank wheezed, the mental picture of Pete walking a fluffy poodle around somehow seeming hilarious to him at the moment.

"Sort of, I mean, I'd rather have a pug or something like that, but I just want a dog in general honestly."

"Well once you graduate you can move out and get one?" Frank suggested.