T W E N T Y - T W O

Tyler's POV:
"Why are we going to the lake?" Briar asked. She was curled up in the passenger seat with an open book in her lap. She'd been doing a lot of reading since she got back from Paris.

"Why not?"

"Are Kara and the others meeting us?" She was suspicious now, glancing around the car as if that would give her some type of answer. I suppressed the smile that tugged at my lips, even just looking at her made me giddy.

I had it bad.

My stomach tied itself into knots as I thought about how she would react to what I planned to tell her. Would she hate me?

"Nah, it's just us tonight," I grinned and shot her a wink, fighting the urge to reach out and wrap her hand in mine. I didn't really know where we stood, after I left her room last week I instantly regretted not asking her to be my girlfriend right then, and we hadn't had the chance to talk about it since. I was so busy with graduation and getting final tests and tidying up loose ends that we'd hardly seen each other. I think she was nervous about tonight by the way she kept folding and unfolding her hands in her lap, and flicking the pages of the book.

"Okay," She smiled at me and It as like my stomach exploded, I couldn't help the grin that split across my face.

The rest of the car ride was quiet, she was reading her book and I was rehearsing what I would say in my head.

Suddenly, my phone started vibrating in my pocket, and I was tempted to ignore it, I couldn't be bothered with Haylee today. Farrah's face flashed before my eyes and I reluctantly pulled the car over and pulled it out.

Farrah's name lit up the screen and my heart was pounding by the time I'd pressed answer and apologised to Briar.

"Hello? Is everything okay?" I asked hurriedly, ignoring the worried look that Briar gave me from her seat next to me. A choked sob echoed down the line followed by Farrah's croaky voice.

"Tyler? Can you hear me?" Her voice cracked and she broke down in tears. My heart was beating so fast I swear I could feel it about to jump out of my chest. Briar was still looking at me, but I was focused on Farrah.

"I can hear you, what's wrong?" I was frantically trying to put the car into gear but my hands were shaking so much that I couldn't. A small hand covered mine and I looked up to find Briar motioning for me to get out of the car and swap seats.

"Can you come and pick me up?" Farrah asked after a long silence and a lot of choked sobs.

"Yes, where are you?"

After a moment, she answered.

"Take us to Cherry Blossom Park," I said to Briar and she instantly turned the car around and pressed down on the accelerator as we headed back into town. I sent out a silent appreciation at her trust in me before turning back to Farrah.

"We're on our way," I whispered into the phone, my palms growing sweatier by the second.

I didn't know what I was going to find, and a small part of me was scared of what was waiting for me.

---

Sorry the chapters are getting shorter! I know what I wanted to do with the story i've just had the worst writers block lately ugh, but hopefully I get back into the swing of it!

I wanted to write this into the book from the very start, so i was so excited when i finally got to write it, even though it's not a very nice topic.

I hope you're enjoying the book so far! Don't forget to vote/comment either! xx

- k