S E V E N T E E N

Tyler's POV:

I was going to tell her. When she got back, I would take her to the lake and I'll tell her all about Rose, and New York. She deserved that much.

Happiness pulsed through my veins as I went over our conversation in my head. Her laugh echoing down the line, I could hear the smile in her voice. I pictured her now, lying alone in her room. Her hair fanned out across the pillow behind her and one hand propped under her head, the other splayed across her hip, like always.

Tell her about Aidan, a persistent voice nagged in my mind. I had to. If I didn't, then he would eventually, and it would just get worse.

At that moment, my phone buzzed on the beside table and I rolled over to check it, Mason's name flashing across the screen. Lighting up the dark room.

Mason: Hey man, what's up?

Me: Briar called.

Mason: For real? What'd she say?

Me: She apologised, said she regretted the fight and everything. I'm going to tell her about Rose and New York when she comes back.

Mason took a few minutes to reply, I suspected he was with Kara since they were practically inseparable.

Mason: I think that's the right choice. just be honest about it, she'll understand.

Mason always knew exactly what to say and when to say it, he was honestly my best friend. The first person I'd really let in since the accident. He took one look at me, decided I was the kind of person he wanted to be friends with and he made it happen. Since then he hasn't failed me.

Me: I really hope so.

Mason: Kara and I are going to the lake, you keen?

I checked the time and was surprised to see it was well past midnight, but I wasn't surprised they were going. They did it at last every two weeks.

Me: Not tonight, thanks though. Are we still doing breakfast tomorrow?

We'd decided to start doing Saturday breakfast instead of Friday night movies, so that Briar didn't feel left out or anything.

Mason: Yep. We get to meet the mysterious Eli that Farrah's introducing us to.

I chuckled into the darkness. Farrah's been dating this mystery person for about a month, and all we know about them is that their name is Eli, that they met Farrah at a shoot a few months ago and that they're in university.

I was looking forward to it.

Me: That should be interesting. Have fun at the lake, don't do anything too rash ;-)

His reply came seconds later.

Mason: Never ;-)

I flicked off the light and pulled the overs up tight, trying to fight off the biting chill of the cold bedroom as I drifted off into sleep, images of Briar flashing across my mind in the darkness.

43 days, I reminded myself before sleep finally consumed me.

---

I love Mason and Tyler's friendship, and how strongly Tyler feels about Briar aw.

Watch this space! Reunions are on the horizon...

- K