T E N

Tyler's POV

"Hey Mom," I beamed, her face becoming clear on my laptop screen. Her dark hair was tied back in a loose ponytail, strands framing her heart-shaped face. Her eyes were tired but happy, lighting up when they saw me.

"Hey sweetie, how are you?" She cooed.

"I'm good, what's been happening?" I questioned, kicking my door shut when I heard Briar moving around next door, I know she hates it when I talk this late.

"Oh, you know. Travel, work, eat, sleep, repeat," She joked, stifling a yawn, "What about you, hon?"

Mom was a well-known decorator, which means that clients hired her from all over America. She was always travelling, but we stayed close.

"It's been good, GCSE's are coming up, Briar's freaking out but I'm not too bothered, the material isn't as hard as it was at St. Judes," I explained, St. Judes was the private school I went to in New York. It was awful.

Mom nodded.

"How is Briar?" She asked, a shimmer in her eyes. A grin split across my face when I thought about her.

"She's great, stressed, but great."

"Any improvement?" She pushed, stifling another yawn.

I shook my head, "She's still upset about Aidan, which is understandable. I knew I should've told her as soon as I realised," I berated myself.

"It's not too late to tell her now," Mom said quietly, her kind eyes intense.

"She'll hate me," I answered. There was no point. The damage has been done and if I told her that I had known about it, then she would never speak to me again. I couldn't deal with that.

"Haylee keeps asking about you," Mom offered up, a smile on her face. I grimaced as I thought about my ex. We'd ended things on a bad note, but she hadn't stopped trying to get hold of me.

"You should talk to her," Mom advised.

"I want to leave New York behind," I muttered, instantly regretting my words when I saw hurt flit through her eyes.

"It wasn't your fault, Ty," She murmured, tears had built behind her eyes. I shook my head and stood up.

"I should go, it's late. I love you," I said abruptly and hung up after she said it back, with the promise of calling again.

I knew it was my fault.

If I had been paying attention then Rose would still be here, and everything would be okay, but it's not, because I was reckless and stupid and cared more about my reputation than her safety.

It was all my fault.

---

I felt like Tyler needed a bit more of a part in this story, so here's a little teaser about what happened in New York, and you get a feel for his Mum. She won't be in the story very much but i thought it would be good to introduce her anyway!

I feel so bad for Tyler :(

- K