F O U R

Two weeks later, it was lunch, and we were sitting outside under the huge blossom tree near the gym, enjoying the rare sun that had been shining for the last few days. I tried to hold back laughter as I noticed Tyler trying to look everywhere but at Lucy's chest, which she was all but pushing into his face and falling out of her top, he shot me a pained look and mouthed 'help'. I swallowed the laugh threatening to escape.

I know what you're thinking.

I hated him two weeks ago, I know. But something changed last week.

... "I don't care!" I screamed, throwing my hands up in the air and fighting back the tears that threatened to spill down my cheeks. Dad had talked to the lawyer again about his custody rights.

She didn't get it.

"He's your father, Briar! He has the right to see his daughters," Mum yelled back across the kitchen at me. Her face was red and her throat was hoarse.

We'd been at it for an hour already.

"I don't care, Mum," I said again, "He left us. He made that choice, now I'm choosing to leave him." I gritted out, bracing my arms on the bench. I could feel myself shaking.

"He's still your father," She argued, a fire burning in her eyes.

"No, he's not," I muttered, turning to leave.

"Don't leave, we're not done!" She yelled, taking a step in my direction.

I took a step back.

"Don't act like you care about how I feel about Dad, you just can't be bothered with the lawyers calling all the time," I sneered, watching her face twist slightly before she took a step forward.

I didn't move back this time.

"Don't say that again," She said, her voice low and cold.

"Why not?" I countered, "Do you honestly care about me?"

She opened her mouth to speak, but I cut her off.

"Briar do this, Briar do that, Briar can you pick up Gabby, Briar can you make dinner," I mimicked her, "You never once ask, Briar, how are you? Are you okay? How's Aidan? How's life? Do you need anything?" I felt a tear slip down my cheek, but I didn't stop.

"But I don't care anymore, you support gabby, and I really hope you build a better relationship with her than you did with me, because most of the time, Mum, it feels like both my parents left me," I said, staring her right in the face. I saw something flash behind her blue irises before her hand connected with my cheek, pushing me back a few steps. Shock and regret filled her expression, but I was already walking out the door, tears streaming down my cheeks and my hand pressed against the sensitive skin of my cheek.

"Briar," Mum said quietly, taking a step towards me. I turned to face her at the door.

Her cheeks were red and tears had built up in her eyes. She was looking between her hand and my cheek with a look I'd never seen before.

"I'm sorry," She choked and reached out to me, but stopped when I flinched away from her.

"Don't talk to me, Elizabeth," I spat out, and the look on her face was so pained that anyone would've thought she'd been the one who got hit. I took the steps two at a time and let the tears fall down my cheeks. The slam of the door shook the walls as I slid down the wall, letting the cold tile seep through my thin T-shirt. Sobs shook through my body and the tears blurred my vision.