85. King Louis III

"There must be some other way," my idiot brother, Albert, says to me. "I'll do anything to keep my throne. Alba needs me."

Turning away from the scenery, I take a look at him. He came on to my balcony and pathetically begged me to let him keep control of Alba.

"What Alba needs," I begin, taking long strides towards him, "is a strong leader. I gave you that kingdom out of the kindness of my heart. Your choices over the years have proven to me that you are unfit to rule Alba, or any kingdom, for that matter. This is not a request, this is a command: give up Alba, and I will see to it that you are well taken care of for the rest of your days at this palace. You are welcome to join my royal court, as well."

He shakes his head. "I can't just leave my kingdom. I've spent half of my life there, and that's where Haytham was born. I can't just move him to another kingdom without telling him beforehand. The boy loves his home, and I don't want to take that away from him."

"What, that orphan boy you took in out of guilt?" I scoff, amused. "Do not speak as though he is your real son, because he is not."

"I raised that boy as my own," he defends. "As far as I'm concerned, he is my son. Besides, you really don't want to get into an argument over biological children, don't you? Because I have more than enough ammunition against you."

My blood boils, yet I keep my composure. "How dare you use him against me? He is my son."

"Of course he is," my brother crosses his arms. "But that's only half of the truth, isn't it?"

"If you so much as say a word to him," I step closer to him, preparing a threat. "I will end your existence."

Albert laughs. "You'd kill your own brother? You've done some horrid things in your life, but even you aren't capable of such a thing."

"Am I not?" I raise a brow. I can visibly see Albert's nerves. "Why don't you ask our dear, deceased brother Byron about what I am capable of?"

His face falls and his skin pales. "So, the rumors are true."

"They most certainly are," I smirk. "So, if I were you, I would be careful with what I say."

Albert nervously gulps. "You really are a monster, aren't you?"

"Your words mean nothing to me, Albert," I turn away from him. "Be gone. I wish to be alone."

Without another word, my brother storms back into my chambers and slams the door shut behind him. I take in a deep breath, gazing at the kingdom in front of me.

I have been the King of Leria for over twenty years now. In those years, I have had two lovers, five children, and three successful attempts at halting potential uprisings. Everything I have ever wanted in life, I was able to take.

It was foolish of Albert to test me. He should know what I am capable of by now. Yes, I was responsible for the death of my eldest brother, Byron. The reasons were simple: I wanted to be King, and he was in the way.

Since then, every decision I have made is for a reason. That is something my sons will not understand until they are older. I expected more from my children, and they have severely disappointed me. Liam does not show any signs of being a strong ruler, Louis' behavior is out of my control, Harry foolishly thinks with his heart instead of his mind, making him weak, and Catherine...well, she has yet to disappoint me.

My sons hate me, no doubt. I do not care what they think of me, however. There is very little left in this world that I do care for, including myself. It is said that every parent should love their children equally, but that is not the case. Catherine is my best child. She is poised, proper, and polite. As for my worst; I cannot decide between Louis and Harry.