40. Lena

"What is the Prince doing here?" I wonder out loud, but I get no response from Prue. She seems to have frozen in her spot, eyes wide and mouth agape. I turn to one of the nurses and ask, "Is there something wrong with the Prince?"

     The elder nurse sighs. "He came here late last night, drunk as ever, saying he was supposed to be here for someone. Then, he just fell asleep on one of the beds. He's been sleeping ever since."

     Those words seemed to catch Prue's attention, and she finally speaks up. "He...he said that?" Then, she winces and holds her stomach. "Ow," she whispers.

     "Are you alright?" I worriedly ask, and she nods.

     "Yes," she breathes. "I just felt something odd. It wasn't like the usually stomachache I've been feeling, though. It sort of felt like a jab from the inside."

     I turn back to the nurse. "Is there anything you can do to help her?"

     "Well," she starts. "We can fetch the medic. Here, you should lay down for a bit, dear."

     She guides Prue, who is clutching her stomach, to the bed beside Prince Liam, who has begun to stir. She helps Prue lay down, and Prue sighs in relief as she lays her head on the pillow and brings the blanket up to her stomach. The nurse leaves, assuring Prue that she will be alright. I take this moment to look around the hospital wing. I spot Edward in the corner of the room, speaking to one of the nurses. At that moment, Prince Liam wakes up.

     He has trouble opening his eyes at first, rubbing them while letting out a loud yawn. Once he does have his eyes open, he confusedly looks around.

     "What am I doing here?" He asks with a frown.

     "Your Highness," one of the younger nurses rushes up to him, getting a subtle glare from Prue. "How are you feeling?"

     He shrugs, not noticing us. "Like shit. Ugh, my head is pounding. What happened?"

     "You came here last night after the ball and just fell asleep, My Prince," she explains. Finally he turns his head to the two of us, and his eyes widen.

     "Prue!" He exclaims, shocking the both of us. Then, he clears his throat and nervously looks around, sitting up. "I must've been really drunk last night to have come here. Are, um, are you two alright? Why are you here?"

     Prue seems as surprised as I am at his outburst. I decide to answer for her. "She's ill, Your Highness."

     "Oh, um, really?" He raises his brows but, for some reason, it sounds like he might have already known.

     At that moment, the medic arrives, along with the nurse who went after him. "So, you're having some stomach pains?"

     Prue nods. "Although, it was mostly dizziness and nausea up until this morning. Since I woke up this morning, I've felt a sort of painful jab quite a few times."

     "When were you last menstruating?" He asks, and my eyes widen. How can he be so calm about speaking of such things?

     "What?" She asks, surprised. Her eyes dart to the Prince, and her expression shows discomfort. "What does that have anything to do with it?"

     "Please, Miss," the nurse says. "Just answer him. He's only here to help you."

     She sighs, obviously still uncomfortable about the topic. I don't blame her. "About five months or so. But that's nothing out of the ordinary, some women don't have it for a year. It's common with us maids, since we're not exactly able to have a healthy lifestyle."