28. Harry

I wish I could have been more detailed about meeting up with Lena. Honestly, I was so happy she agreed that I couldn't even think straight. The garden is huge, and we didn't discuss a meeting place. I may as well just wait by the water fountain where we first spoke.

     It's not even eleven o'clock and I'm already waiting for her, but I can't help it. She excites me, draws me in with those eyes of hers. She is, without a doubt, the most beautiful girl I have ever laid eyes on. I haven't laid eyes on many girls, of course, but I can't imagine anyone being more beautiful than my angel.

     Being a maid, she's not allowed to fix herself up at all. That means I am enjoying her image in all of her natural beauty. And, unlike most of the other maids, she doesn't stare at me like I'm some sort of toy for them to play with.

     I wonder if her heart is as pure as her image. From the way she has treated me so far, I think it's safe to say she was sent to me directly from Heaven. I have cried in front of her twice, for God's sake, but she has been able to put an end to my tears both times.

     A strange thud interrupts my thoughts, and I turn to the source of it. There seems to be some curtains hanging by the second floor balcony of the ballroom. I follow the noise until I can find the source. My face breaks into a smile as soon as I see Lena picking up what looks to be a heavy curtain. She doesn't seem to notice me yet, though.

     "Lena?" I call out her name, resulting in her turning to me. She looks as surprised as I do, until she gives me a small smile.

     "Hello, Henry," she grins. I nearly forgot that I had given her a fake name, and I feel a twinge of guilt. But she can't know who I am yet, my family members have a bad reputation for being complete assholes, and I don't want her to assume I am the same as them. "What are you doing here so early?"

     I couldn't tell her that I was here over an hour early just because I was excited to see her. "Um...I, uh, had some chores to do," I hate that I have to lie to her, but I don't have much of a choice. Once I know she has feelings for me as well, I'll tell her the truth.

     "Oh," she responds. "What are you doing? Maybe I can help."

     "That curtain looks awfully heavy," I quickly change the subject. "Let me hold that for you."

     I could tell she was going to object, so I take it from her hands before she could say anything.

     "Thank you," she shyly says. "I really must take it to the washing room, though. It's covered in dirt."

     "You should take a break for a few moments," I suggest, not wanting her to leave. "Since we're both here, we may as well go for that stroll we were going to meet up for."

     After a few moments, she nods her head. "I suppose that will be alright. A few minutes wouldn't hurt."

     "Follow me," I try to suppress a grin. "I want to show you something."

     I put the curtain down on a nearby bench and motion for her to follow me, and it takes all of my strength not to grab her hand. She nods and walks along with me through the garden. I know exactly where to take her.

     "Where are we going?" She lightly laughs, looking around.

     I shake my head. "I can't tell you yet, it's a secret."

     I lead her through the flower beds, the orchards, and the vineyards. Once we reach one of the vine-covered walls, I look at her adorably confused face.

     "Um, Henry?" She says. "This is a wall."

     I chuckle as I move the vines aside, revealing a small door.