29. Louis

This day has been one of the most boring days I have ever lived through thus far. Most of it consisted of tossing a ball in the air and catching it with my hand whilst laying on the velvet couch in my room. I finished reading The Mysteries of Toulon Woods this morning, and I haven't heard anything good from Edward all day. Then again, it is only five in the afternoon. Hopefully, he'll have something for me today.

     Edward has been my eyes and ears around the palace and, although he has only been here for a mere week, he already has most of the servants doing his bidding. Not to mention his connections in the surrounding village. With his help, I was able to find out who this "Lena" girl really is.

     What I still don't understand is why she was saved by Father. I do recall what happened all those years ago, but there isn't much of a connection. Still, it is a rather amusing coincidence that he stopped her from being executed when he himself is responsible for the execution of her parents. Perhaps he's grown a heart. No, that can't possibly be it.

     There must be more to this story. I find it highly unlikely that Father saved her because he felt guilty for murdering her parents. Father never feels guilty about anything, he's even said so himself.

     My thoughts are interrupted by a knock at the door. I sigh and sit up.

     "What?" I call out in annoyance.

     "Your highness?" A muffled, feminine voice comes from the other side of the door. "May I please come in?"

     "Yes," I say, praying that it isn't Abigail. The person behind the door opens it and walk in, revealing herself. Fuck.

     "I need to speak to you for a moment," Abigail twirls her hair, closing the door behind her.

     I groan and stand up. "What do you want this time? I've told you time and again to leave me alone."

     "That's not what I came here for," she shakes her head, slowly taking a few steps towards me.

     "Then why the hell are you here?" I spit. "You only ever speak to me when you want something, it's rather disrespectful."

     "What do you care about respect?" She mocks. "You obviously don't respect anybody, not even yourself."

     "You're right," I nod. "If I respected myself, I would've stayed away from you. Don't try to change the subject. Why are you here?"

     She sighs and says, "I just wanted to know how you feel about being married."

     "I'm not married yet," I correct her. "And I won't be until January."

     "That's only a month away," she bats her eyelids. "Once you're married, you can't be with anyone else."

     "Who says that I can't be with anyone else?" I challenge. She's trying to get on my nerves, it's how she is. I'm not giving her what she wants, so she's going to piss me off until I do.

     "You'll be tied down to one woman for the rest of your life or else you'll be a disgrace," she takes a few more steps towards me, my feet stay planted on the floor. "Doesn't that thought frighten you? You know you are not one to stick with only one woman."

     "And your point is...?" I continue, not affected by her words whatsoever.

     "I think you know what my point is," she whispers, her breath hitting my face. "Soon, you won't be able to be with anyone else. Why not have as much fun as you can before you're cut off from us?"

     I let out a chuckle. "So you lied to me when you said that's not the reason you came here. That was a one-time thing, and you know it. Stay away from me, or else I'll have to speak with Father."