Chapter 41 - back to the way it was?

Your eyes flutter open and look at the digital clock. 11:59 the clock said. You rub your eyes and sit up. You look again and see 12:00 on the clock. You listen for something but there is nothing to be heard. Its the middle of the night and that's normally when every one is awake in the mansion but it was a school night and everyone was said to be asleep. You looked at your notebook. The one that you logged the few first days in. You decided to continue your journal entries.

You wrote about the encounter with the what looked like to be human creature, how you fought him off but were gravely wounded. You wrote about how you heard the creatures laugh from the forest every few days. Lastly you wrote how scared you were. You couldn't feel safe at school or in the forest. I needed someone to stay with me you wrote. Ben being your boyfriend was the best one for that job.

Since you came home from the attack he has seen first hand how scared you've gotten and has stayed with you every night you couldn't sleep. Most nights it rained and the gentle pitter patter to the raindrops helped you fall asleep.

You remember the night you went out in the forest with him and how you ended up falling asleep. It was nice to be carried. Especially by Ben. You quietly giggle remembering how peaceful things used to be. Oh how you wish this struggle was just a click away from being over.

You hugged yourself and felt the slow cold chill of wind from outside. You turned to your window. You had forgotten that you left the window halfway open. Its late winter as of right now. Oddly enough there has been no snow. Oh well it will eventually. However winter wasn't your favorite season. You get up and reach for the handle and slowly shut the window completely. You even close the curtains.

"Its almost been a year" you breath

The accident was so clear in your head and no matter how ard you tried you couldn't forget. You lean against the wall. Eventually you put your back to the wall and slide down to the floor. You felt alone and cold so you inhaled and exhaled. While exhaling you sense someone walking upstairs. Its twitching with every few seconds. Another figure is in a room sitting down. This figure is quite tall. You focused and see that its slender. He's reading a paper. The figure walking upstairs was Toby obviously.

knock knock

You flinch to the surprise visit and look at the door, someone was behind it.

"Y/n?" a voice quietly called out "are you awake?"
"Yeah, the door is open"

The knob turns and in walks Ben. He looks at the bed and then looks around until his eyes meet yours. He kneels down to you.

"What are you doing sitting there? Its freezing" he holds out his hand

"I couldn't sleep" you took his hand and he helped you up

"You know you can always go downstairs and read a book till you fall asleep" he said
"You know I would much rather play videogames" you smile
"I should have known" he laughs "are you alright?"
"I don't know, I feel all over the place"