07.

For three years, Camilia worked hard to fly under the radar at Dalton Preparatory

For three years, Camilia worked hard to fly under the radar at Dalton Preparatory. To survive at Dalton, she had to be the most banal person here. That all went in the trash once she had lunch with Richard and his three friends.

She noticed everyone staring at her after lunch. Whispers followed her and Heather cheered afterwards.

"You're the talk of the town, baby. Everyone wants to know who's the mysterious girl eating lunch with Richard's inner circle."

Camilia was not happy.

Especially since Sebastian looked shocked to see her. At first she thought it was because she was different from them and he caught that in an instant. She didn't dress up like the popular crowd at Dalton, wearing make-up and styling the god-awful navy uniforms as much as possible. She washed her face with soap and her cousin Lucia had annoyingly remarked that it was obvious by looking at her skin, while Sebastian's skin was like porcelain. Then she realized, he may have been shocked because he recognized her, either from the race or from Jules.

Camilia and Jules both bonded over being outcasts at the elite private school. She reminisced about her best friend who was residing in a boarding school in Sweden. There was a strict no phones policy so contacting her had been hard.

Dalton was one of the most prestigious schools in the world. They wanted a reason to expel Jules so they could admit some oil tycoon's son or some ambassadors' daughter. They got their wish because Jules was expelled last year for vandalism in the girl's bathroom. She had written fuck capitalism in the stalls. Her mistake was signing it off with J.H. But that was Jules, she was reckless as she was fearless. Her need to be infamous lasted even when she left the school when she released a truck full off pigs in the hallways with the Dalton's latin motto painted on them.

Non ducor ducom. I am not led, I lead.

Either way, it was not good to continue hanging out with them. The attention was not something Camilia needed or wanted.

Camilia entered the deserted library. Usually, she would be in the art room during her free period but she had taken an easy math course to meet her graduation requirement that wasn't turning out to be that easy. She found a private spot near the window where the sweeping staircase hid her from any onlookers and then went looking for a guide on how to do algebra.

She recalled the first time Sebastian showed up for Jules.

"Troublemaker," he called her with a smile, "What are you cooking up lately?"

Even in just a short conversation, Camilia could feel the ripples of his force. He emitted everything Dalton stood for, confidence, valor, success. 

Jules would leave with him, never really disclosing where they were going. Camilia guessed it was an empty classroom. The closest thing Jules had to a crush was Sebastian Howl. He was notorious for getting involved with girls of all types but all of them had something in common. They were all beautiful. Even Jules, with her asymmetrical pixie-cut and outlandish clothing had a slender frame that got the attention of several boys in the school.