12.

Camilia's role in the mafia was a sleuth, hiding in the shadows, camouflaging in crowds to make the hit

Camilia's role in the mafia was a sleuth, hiding in the shadows, camouflaging in crowds to make the hit. It was a crucial role in the ranks. Her father depended on her more than her brothers but she felt out-ranked by them. Not because they were bigger, not because they were stronger or older, but simply because they were boys. Her mother and Nonna never saw her that way. Her father on the other hand saw her as her little girl, despite having a body count that would make her a killer.

Her brothers knew she was capable, but sibling rivalry always pushed them to pick on her. Playful as it was, there was a drive in her that wanted to best them. To show them just how powerful she was. It showed up now in her combat practice with them.

Tony lunged at her and she sidestepped but he had intended that move. His foot hooked behind hers and she was lying on her back, arms pinned on the mat. She thrashed around but it was no use. The fight was over and she had lost.

"Oldest trick in the book," Tony uttered pulling himself up. He offered Camilia his hand but she swatted it away.  She was angry at herself for not dedicating time to practice. Instead, she had been prancing around with a certain Dalton boy.

Her mother was watching from door, a neutral expression on her face but Camilia knew she was disappointed. Their mother was an assassin, the deadliest one in the game. Her name often was on FBI's most wanted lists but her methods were so clean that there was no proof that Amara Alvarez was more than a housemaid's daughter. A dutiful archaeologist, who traveled around the world for expedition. Definitely not charming people of power with her beauty and grace, then strangling them with a coat hanger. But that was back then and now her mother had retired. Amara Caruso was a housewife who often hosted book clubs with the neighbors.

Sometimes her mother put the book down and helped train her children in the art of fighting. She was the one who taught Camilia how to throw her first punch while her father taught her how to load her first gun.

She focused on her two brothers fighting. Ray was the strongest out of them. He trained twice a day, stuck to a strict diet and never strayed from his routine. But Ray didn't have a semester long art project, a math test or an English assignment to worry about. And a handsome British boy who kept messaging her late at night.

Richard Agarwal was a perfect boyfriend, if there ever was one. He was kind and there was a quiet matureness in him that she hadn't noticed before. When his Lacrosse teammates would talk shit, he listened diplomatically unless it came to taking digs at someone, he defended people he didn't even know. 

"It's never black and white," he would say to his team captain who was badmouthing another teammate. They looked up to him and it made Camilia feel proud of being his girlfriend. She had felt that way with her ex when he won physical fights, but Richard had elicited the same feelings from her without even raising a finger. 

He was patient and thoughtful, never-taking things too seriously, especially when it came to his friends. It was a very attractive quality. 

It seemed Richard was kept out of the loop when it came to Sebastian's schemes and she liked it that way. Sebastian hadn't mentioned anything to her after the poker night but his offer hadn't left her mind.