Chapter 82

THAT SAME MOMENT

IN PARIS

"Wow, this place's amazing." Terry was mesmerized by the view of the Eiffel Tower, while Fanny imagined all the things she and the detective could do in the bathtub.

When Fanny walked to the small kitchen, she was certain her best friend had been living here. There was the Nutella Nat liked to eat with pancakes for breakfast on Sundays, the grated fresh parmesan cheese for homemade pasta, the Colombian coffee she drank every morning, and the rum raisin ice cream she had for dessert every time she was romantically frustrated. There was a lot of it. Not a good sign... "Where are they?"

"They must be out. It's a beautiful day", Terry guessed, still admiring the best view in Paris.

"Wow! Look at these outfits! All in Nat's size! But I'm pretty sure they're not hers. At least, she wasn't the one to buy them." Fanny had to drag Nat every time her best friend needed to do some shopping. So she was pretty sure Nat would have never had bought an entire armoire of clothes by her own, let alone clothes as expensive as those were.

"Perhaps it was the man who identifies himself as the Professor who is the responsible for them." Terry was less and less worried about Nathalie: it seemed obvious to him she'd been having the time of her life in the last few weeks. He was also convinced Fanny should relax and take advantage of Paris too, just like her best friend had been doing.

There were many clues as to Nathalie's well-being: besides the new clothes, he'd seen a few city maps and museums tickets on the coffee table in the living area. He'd also discovered souvenirs in a wooden box on that same coffee table while Fanny examined the bathroom. His cop's instincts, along with many years of training told him all was far better than okay.

"But if the Professor was hired by Ethan, as Bobby told us, then this means Ethan was the one who paid for all this stuff", she kept examining everything in the wardrobe: shoes, purses, belts, "and I'm pretty sure the Ethan I know couldn't afford all of this."

Terry took in a deep breath. He was about to say something that would hurt her. "Fanny, it's pretty clear to me you don't know a lot about that family."

"What are you talking about?" She was hurt and offended, as expected, "I'm Nat's oldest friend."

"Of course you are", he agreed right away. "But I believe there are somethings, especially regarding Ethan, that not even Nathalie knew about before she was taken here, you know. Things so complicated and dangerous that kept her from even calling you since she came to Paris."

His reasoning did make sense, and Bobby had indeed told them something of the same sort. He'd told them Nat believed (and so did he and the rest of the family) her lack of communication was for everyone's sake. Nat and Darcy were just making sure everyone was safe by staying hidden. Fanny still didn't know the reason behind all that secrecy, but she'd seen the sincerity of Bobby's words in his eyes.

"Do you think they're okay?" She was still worried about Nat, regardless what she saw in the apartment.

"Yeah, I see no signs of fight and it seems they've been here recently. There are used towels and dirty laundry in the bathroom and–" Terry interrupted himself when he saw Fanny's expression. "Sorry. I guess I'm still on my cop mode." He smiled at her.

"No problem. I like a man in uniform, anyway", Fanny teased, stepping out in the balcony.

"Well, maybe I could dress like a cop and arrest you...", he joked back.

She wore that wicked look of hers, the one that made Terry forget his own name. She moved closer to him, only stopping when her chest was smashed against his flat abdomen.

"Fanny..." Terry took a step back, and his legs touched the metallic rail. Yes, he'd been flirting back, yet he couldn't believe how her mood had changed so swiftly. Only moments ago she was worrying sick about her friend!

"What? We're all alone", she moved closer, placing her hands on his chest.

"Yes, we are", he couldn't contradict that.

"And there's a big bed in that room", she indicated the bedroom.

"Yes, I can see that." Again, no way to deny her affirmation.

"Besides, we're dating now." She'd accepted his terms as soon as she found out what he had to offer. She couldn't wait to tell Nat how amazing his offer was...

"True." When her hands moved to his backside he inhaled sharply. "What do you have in mind?"

"Oh, so many things, Detective." The way she pronounced the words sounded like a challenge. Terry couldn't breathe. "But I can start by teaching you how to use my pleasure balls..."

Thanks for reading!

If you liked this chapter, please consider giving it a vote! ;-)

Instagram: laisrodriguesauthor