Chapter 6

Another half hour passed before Mr. Darcy was convinced the gentlemen in his company did not wish him harm. About the time traveling tale, he had some reasoning to do. Maybe the entire family had mental conditions, even though they seemed to be well-intended.

When Bobby noticed his guest was still oblivious to his new reality, he took the man to his window and showed the view of the streets. Five minutes later, after watching cars pass by, skyscrapers and, especially, the million lights of the city, Mr. Darcy finally believed he'd been brought to a different century.

"We need to get to the party, Bobby." Carlos told his son, and then turned to Mr. Darcy again, "I guess you'd like to wash up, right?"

Being still too stunned to respond, Mr. Darcy only nodded. He was desperate for a bath and new clothes. Mr. Estevez left the room and returned with his hands full. He was holding a white towel, a deep green button shirt and a pair of gray woolen trousers.

"I'm sorry, but I just have one tuxedo. Most men have already taken off their jackets, so I guess you'll be all right."

"I am much obliged, sir." Mr. Darcy had enough in him to be grateful, even though the clothes were inappropriate. It was the dignified thing to do. "I thank you for sheltering me and taking me to my rooms."

"Rooms? As in plural?" Bobby snorted, before his dad elbowed him, reminding him when this guy came from. "Oh, dude. Sorry. Here, you've only got a room. In the singular, you know?"

"Of course. I should not impose. I am sure you are doing your best to accommodate me, regardless of your inferior circumstances."

"Inferior circumstances?" For a second, Carlos worried that his son had been offended by Mr. Darcy's remark, until he moved his head back and began laughing. "You talk like my late grandpa, dude!"

"Dar-cy!", the gentleman repeated slowly. The young man could be amusing, but he was definitely not bright.

"Yeah, yeah," Bobby waved a hand at him, "So, how old are you, anyhow?"

Even though the tone was so familiar to make it quite rude, Mr. Darcy kept in mind these people were trying to assist him anyway they could. So he answered, "I am seven and twenty."

"Seriously?!" Bobby didn't even try to disguise his surprise. "I thought you were in your mid-thirties. You need some serious make-up or Botox or whatever, dude! What made you age like Lindsay Lohan? Was it booze or chicks? It was both, right?"

Before Mr. Darcy could admit he had understood nothing the younger Mr. Estevez Brown had said, the older one guided him to the bathroom.

"Pardon me, sir." Mr. Darcy shyly said as father and son left him alone. "Is there a servant to help me with my bath?"

Carlos and Bobby gazed at each other in blunt surprise. They were silent for a few seconds, before the son blurted out, "There's no way I'm standing alone with a naked dude in the bathroom, Dad!"

Thanks for reading!

If you liked this chapter, please consider giving it a vote! ;-)

Instagram: laisrodriguesauthor