Chapter 31

Bobby

"Fitz, do you play for the other team?", I had to take it easy with him. After all, homosexuality was probably a crime in England when he came from. Like that movie Anna had insisted I watched with her (even though I'd been craving to watch some Fast & Furious), the imitation something.

I'd slept through most of it, but one thing I remembered: there was a dude who was treated like a criminal for liking other dudes! I was so enraged when Anna told me the film was based on a true story I hadn't even been able to sleep that night. I couldn't believe I hadn't considered the fact Fitz might like other dudes, too!

I guess Anna was right when she called me an insensitive jerk. Actually, she usually was... Not that I'd tell her that in a million of years.

"What team do you refer to, Robert?", Fitz replied, and for a split of second I forgot what my question had been. Maybe I should stop smoking pot that Saturday. I'd had enough. "I believe it might depend on the sport I was intending to play and the other players available. I, for instance, am very fond of cricket. Why do you ask, if I may inquire? Would you like to play something?"

"No, I was just curious..." Of course, Fitz didn't understand what I'd really asked him. I was such an idiot! Well, this called for a more blunt approach. "Are you gay?"

"Well, it depends on your meaning of the word, Robert." Finally, now he got it! Just hold on a minute: what else could I mean? "If you mean the word as its original definition, which is joyful, I might tell you that, apart from the 'bathing suit' unfortunate circumstances, I am quite content now. However, if you are inquiring me if I am a gay man, the answer is no."

Okay, that was that. I was on the verge of talking about something else entirely when he continued, "I am not fond of brothels, Robert." What?! "You should not go to these establishments either, my friend. Miss Anna is a very respectful young lady, and she certainly does not deserve to be left aside by a... working woman."

"A what?", he whispered something I could not make out. "What?!"

"A whore!", he said, a little too loud now.

Okay, I understood about twenty percent of Darcy's speech, but I heard the words 'brothel' and 'whore', which was probably a strong indication that 'gay' might have a different connotation for him. I was starting to realize this would be a harder task than I'd initially imagined.

"Forget about the gay thing, Fitz", I instructed him. "What I wanna ask is... Do you wanna marry a man or a woman?"

That was as clear as water! Right? "A gentleman cannot marry another gentleman, Robert." He countered, his expression becoming seriously dark.

"Actually, you can nowadays. But that doesn't matter now. I mean, maybe it does." Great. Now he looked serious and confused. "Look, if you could marry another guy, would you?" There was no misinterpreting this one.

"Absolutely not." His tone was higher, drawing the girls' attention.

"Okay, then... I just wanted to make sure that... You know... If you wanted to marry a gentleman, I'd still be your friend and you'd have my full support. My family's too."

He considered my words for a moment and something changed in his expression. From almost enraged, he went to... Emotional? Oh, no. Please, don't cry on me, dude! Instead of weeping, he just grabbed my hand and shook it. "Thank you, Robert. You are truly a good friend."

Geez, that was the most awkward conversation I'd ever had. And we weren't even high. At least, Fitz wasn't.

Thanks for reading!

If you liked this chapter, please consider giving it a vote! ;-)

Instagram: laisrodriguesauthor