Chapter 9 - Small freedoms

I have a phone.

It's the only thing that could be considered particularly modern technology-wise that I own.

It doesn't make calls. Doesn't even have a sim card, but every now and then I'll make the trek down to somewhere with internet to download things.

That's what I did today.

I downloaded things! Ugh, the marvel of downloads.

Downloads like the entirety of Hozier's new album.

5 years. 5 years and then boom! An entirely new album.

Movement has been blasting on repeat for the past few hours nonstop.

It hasn't gotten boring yet. My heart still swells and bows with his voice the same way it has for all of his other songs.

I'm pretty sure Hozier is a god at this point. Along with Rag'n'bone man of course.

I've been so proactive too. I've pre-cooked some more complex meals for them to make it easier for future me.

The past week has been difficult. I won't let anyone in my kitchen because it's my fucking kitchen and they all do it wrong because 'of course, you don't use the electric whisk for just scrambling eggs you fucking maniac!' And 'NO THAT'S SUGAR NOT SALT! IT SAYS SUGAR ON THE FUCKING PACKET!'

I still get flashbacks from the third day they were here and I finally let Devil in to try his hand at feeding them after he'd mocked me for how long it took.

It is not difficult to say the boys were not pleased that day with their strangely meringue-like scrambled eggs.

In the past 6 days, it's also fair to say that I don't scare them quite as much as I used to.

They're all talking much more again. I don't think I'm seen as the big bad wolf. That's Satan. I'm much more of ... The mildly intimidating but tame-ish stray rottweiler that works for the wolf... And also brings them usually nice food.

It's a strange dynamic, to say the least. We all swap between being cold and borderline friendly to each other multiple times a day. It's getting more and more difficult to remind myself to do my job.

Namjoon has taken to noticing I'm more likely to answer the less than safe questions in English. Both because I like how he imitates my English accent, and because the others are less likely to understand.

I sometimes wonder whether he's manipulating me. I have resigned myself to probably. He's smart enough.

Satan has visited three times this week not including the first night.

His visits are becoming very frequent, but at least I know he won't come tonight and they aren't as violent.

My mind wanders to the boys as I do my run in the woods next to the compound as it has taken to recently.

I worry mostly. Even though it is my fault they are here, living in this hell.

I worry that they don't seem to be putting up much of a fight.

My anger has faded over Yoongi's attack on Satan. It was the right thing to do. I would have done the same if I were in his position. Now I seem to want him to fight more.

With a flash of idiotic but overwhelming inspiration, I decide perhaps letting them into the living room could work.

Not for long... Maybe half an hour.

My mind races with the possibilities. I could just bring them up for a little while.

With an intake of breath, making me cough and splutter and pull up to a stop, I realise something. I want them to escape.