Chapter 21

Courtney P.O.V.

I didn't know what to do. My mind was far from focused on the lesson Professor Flitwick was teaching because of what Dumbledore had asked me to do. I tried to seem like I was paying attention, but it was literally impossible for me to focus on his speech about how our N.E.W.T.s would be deciding our future. Like I already didn't know that. Plus, I had already heard this lecture from four other teachers today.

"Cory," Lily hissed in my ear, punching me dead in the arm when I didn't respond.

"Ow!" I whisper yelled, shooting her a glare, but realized that the whole class was staring at me expectantly.

Professor Flitwick gave me a stern look and said, "As I was saying, Miss Daniels, can you please tell the class what the extra credit is on the Charms exam?"

I frowned slightly, glancing over at Lily, but she looked interested. I guess she didn't know there was extra credit. How was it that I knew this then? Oh Merlin, I really am loosing it. "Erm...the Patronus charm, right?"

He looked at me for a moment before nodding slowly. "Yes, that is correct. I know not many of you will be able to perform the charm, but I would like for us to try it out, just to see what level you're all at for N.E.W.T.s." There was a loud scraping of chairs as everyone stood and readied themselves for a practical lesson today. "Oh, except for you Miss Daniels," Professor Flitwick said, suddenly spinning around and snatching a piece of paper off his desk. "Professor Dumbledore is expecting you."

I felt my face pale immensely, and my emotions must have shown through because I could feel Sirius' worried eyes watching me. I tried to send him a reassuring smile, but ended up coming out more like a grimace. Ugh, today was definitely not my day.

I gathered up my things, shoving them into my bag, and strode out of the classroom without looking back. If I did, someone would be able to read my emotions, which were most likely clearly written across my face. I would have to be better at concealing things from people if I decided to accept Dumbledore's request. But I couldn't help wondering, why me? Why did he want me to be the one to risk my life by infiltrating Voldemort's innermost circle of henchmen? What was it about me that made Dumbledore think I could do it? I certaintly wasn't the smartest one out there, nor the most powerful. I wasn't slippery, or cunning, hence the Gryffindor status. I wasn't extremely persistant, or hard working, so I couldn't help but wonder why.

My thoughts were swirling around my head and it almost made me feel dizzy, but because I was so preoccupied, I didn't even realize when I came to a standstill just outside Dumbledore's office, with the gargoyle staring at me with the blank stone eyes. I jolted myself awake and looked down at the note, uttering the password in a distant, dreamy voice before climbing onto the spiral staircase.

I raised my hand to knock on the door, but it opened before I even touched the finished wood, leaving me standing there with a hand in the air, looking like a fool in front of the headmaster. "Ah, Miss Daniels, do come in." I shut the door behind me, almost trembling from nerves and anxiety as I stepped inside his office. He was sitting at his desk, looking totally calm and relaxed, finger tips touching lightly as he peered over his half moon glasses at me. "Take a seat." I nervously sat down, unable to find a comfortable position with how anxious I was. "I'm guessing you know why I called you here." I nodded stiffly, biting on my lower lip, which was a nervous habit of mine I had developed over the years. It wasn't necessarily a bad habit, just sometimes a painful one when my teeth would split my lip or something. "Have you come to a decision?" he asked me carefully. It almost seemed like he was reading my thoughts, my worries just by staring at me with those brilliant blue eyes. It was unerving, but slightly calming at the same time, for what reasons, I couldn't say.