Chapter 2

"Psst, Daniels," Black was whispering my name, trying to get me to look at him. Stay calm, Cory, he wants you to freak out. I was silently counting to ten as Black conitnued to kick the back of my chair. "Daniels, hey," he whispered giving my chair an extra hard kick.

Lily glanced at me, smiling slightly as my cheeks flushed from anger. "Just ignore him," she said calmly, bending over her parchment.

"It's kind of hard to do that when he keeps kicking the back of my seat," I muttered in reply, tightening my grip around my quill.

"Hey, sweet cheeks...you who, Daniels," Black said again, pushing and pulling my chair back and forth with his feet. I ground my teeth together, trying to focus on the lesson Slughorn was teaching. Black stopped kicking my chair for a moment and I breathed a sigh of relief, bending over to continue writing down the essay.

"Padfoot," I heard a whisper from behind us, "stop annoying Cory. Do you want to live?" James asked urgently. I smirked, James was smarter than he let on. Lily set her quill down and got up to hand in her roll of parchment.

"Wait Lils, can I please see your essay?" I begged, knowing what her answer would be. I prepared my argument, as she glared at me disaprovingly.

"No, absolutely not. You can do it yourself."

"But Black kept kicking my chair, so I couldn't pay attention."

She scowled at me, but reluctantly handed me the parchment. "Thanks, Lils. You're the best."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, just hurry up." After several minutes of impatient tapping from Lily, I set my quill down with a flourish.

"Done!" I exclaimed as Lily glared at me.

"Finally," she muttered snatching her essay away from me. I grinned at her and leaned back in my seat, not wanting to get up to turn in my own essay, most of which was copied. Just then, Black grabbed my roll of parchment.

"Thanks, Daniels. You're gonna get me an O."

"Give me that," I growled, grinding my teeth together.

Professor Slughorn walked over to where we standing, "Is everything alright here."

"Yes, professor. Courtney was just helping me to finish my essay," Black said shooting me a smug grin. I glared at him, knowing he had used my full name on purpose just to get on my nerves even more.

"Well, I must say I'm impressed. You have put aside your differences to help out a fellow Gryffindor, well done Miss Daniels. Fifteen points to Gryffindor," he proclaimed loudly. It was my turn to smirk at Black, who just scowled at me in return. "I look forward to reading your essay, Mr. Black."

"Looks like you have to help me now," Black said pulling me down into James' empty seat. He was currently in my chair, trying and failing to flirt with Lily.

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms over my chest, turning away from him. "I'd rather tutor the giant squid on table manners than help the sorry likes of you on a simple essay," I snapped.

"Ouch, that hurts Daniels," Black said placing his hand over where he thought his heart was.

"You idiot, your heart's on the other side of your chest," I said laughing.

He glared at me, "I knew that."

"Sure you did," I replied, rolling my eyes, "Oi, James, stop bothering Lily and get out of my seat."

Lily mouthed thank you to me as James grudgingly stood and allowed me to reclaim my chair. The bell rang signalling the end of class. I grabbed my essay and quickly turned it in to Slughorn, who said, "Say, Miss Daniels, I'm organizing a little supper party for Halloween. Would you be interested in joining?"