Chapter 17

Sirius P.O.V.

I turned to grin at Courtney, who was sitting on the porch with Lily while James and I started our snowball war. A snowball wizzed past my face. Crap, Courtney keeps distracting me, James almost got me then. I faintly heard Courtney let out a laugh and she called out to me, "What's wrong Sirius?"

"You're what's wrong, you bloody evil woman," I shouted back to her, scanning the yard for James. I had made sure earlier that he didn't have his invisibility cloak so he couldn't cheat and get me, but you could never be sure with James.

"What did I do?" she answered, feigning innocence and smiling slightly at me. I was caught by her smile, but shook myself out of it. I couldn't afford to loose this war...that would not be good.

"You keep distracting me." I saw a devious smile creep on her face and instantly I knew she meant to get my attention away from James long enough for him to nail me with a snowball. "You're evil, you are."

"Well, according to James, you've always won these snowball things, so I figured it was James' turn to win."

"And she's damn right," James voice called from somewhere to my left, so naturally, I spun around with a snowball raised in my hand only to be met with nothing. "I think poor ole me deserves some victory for a change." His voice came from behind me, so again I jumped around, but he wasn't in sight. Where the hell was he hiding? Damn Potter.

Both the girls were quite enjoying this by now, as if they knew something I didn't. Which, they probably did. "Alright, Prongs enough games," I muttered, backing away into a hedge that surrounded the Potter garden. Luckily, Mrs. Potter had this weird charm where her plants would stay in full bloom all year round, no matter what season it was.

"Since when was this a game?" James asked me, but try as I might, I couldn't spot the cheeky little bugger.

"You're right, it's an all out war. But I'm gonna get you, just you watch."

"Woah Padfoot, scandalous. I thought you were with Cory? This is some startling new information," he crowed obnoxiously.

"Shut it you prat. You know what I meant."

"I sure did, Padfoot, I sure did," his taunting voice echoing around me while I was hidden away in the plants. If James was standing in front of me right now, I know exactly what that git would be doing. He'd be either smirking at me or winking like the git he is. Did I mention he's a git? Because he is. A complete, utter, stupid, annoying, cocky, arrogant...damn him, I'm getting sidetracked again. See, this was his strategy all along. Getting Courtney to turn against me and distract me was his sick, twisted plan. He is so going down.

"Oh, Sirius," Courtney said in a sing-song voice. The tone in her voice told me she was up to something immediately. "I have something to tell you."

"Be quiet Daniels, I'm trying to figure out where that cheeky little arsehole has got to."

"But...but this is important." This time, I looked over at her, only to find her sitting there with a pout on her face and nearly taking my breath away as she was standing and leaning against a post. Her red hair tumbled past her shoulders in loose waves and curls, her cheeks flushed from the cold air. I knew she was trying to distract me, but I couldn't help myself. There's this feeling you get everytime you look at the one you love, and if it's the right moment, they take your breath away. That's how I felt looking at Courtney right then.

"Oh all right, but only for a moment," I relented. She looked so stunning at the moment, I couldn't stop myself from walking over to her. However, I restrained myself from sprinting for her but I did have trouble with that. Even speed walking didn't seem fast enough to get to her. "What is it?" I asked her, leaning against the side of the wooden post she was also using to support her weight.