Chapter 19

Courtney P.O.V.

In short, this was the best Christmas James and Lily ever had. They were engaged. They were to be married almost immediately after school got out. I admired James' courage and how much he obviously loved Lily. I don't think Lily could really see how much he truly loved her. It was the little things that showed. How he always glanced at her after saying something to see if it made her laugh. How he would constantly throw an arm around her shoulder and hug her even though it wasn't necessary. Or how he would glance every so often at Lily just because he could look at her now without getting screamed at.

I thought the whole thing was absolutely adorable, and I looked forward to telling stories about the two of them to their future kids. I knew they were going to have kids, Lily had always wanted one, as had James. I however, wasn't sure about having kids. After my horrible childhood, I wasn't sure of my mothering capabilities. I knew Sirius wasn't to keen on the idea of children in his future either.

The doorbell rang suddenly, interrupting me from my thoughts and the celebrating going on around me. I got up to answer the door and was shocked when I saw my father. "Dad! What are you doing here?" I asked nervously, peering outside the door hoping there weren't any Deatheaters there to get me.

"I have to speak to Lily, and you," he said, hurriedly stepping inside and spelling the door shut.

"Okay," I said cautiously before going to retrieve Lily. She followed me back into the hallway with James and Sirius' complaints about us leaving them sounding behind us. Lily rolled her eyes, but stopped dead in her tracks when she saw my father.

"What is he doing here?" she spat, glaring at him. I could understand this. After all, my father hadn't done anything to prevent what had happened to me and my sisters. Lily was reasonably angry about this.

My father looked sadly at both of us before asking if there was a place we could talk more privately. I had quietly conveyed to Mr. and Mrs. Potter that my father was here, so they said we could go in the study to talk if we didn't want James or Sirius to hear.

My father sank into a chair, rubbing his eyes with one hand. He looked so exhausted and worn down, I couldn't help but hug him slightly before settling into my own chair.

"I have some bad news," he began. Lily and I exchanged fearful looks. I crossed my fingers between my knees and prayed that it wasn't about Beth and Amy. "Lily...your parents...they're dead." My heart seemed to leap into my throat and get stuck there. But one look at my father's eyes revealled he was telling the truth.

I heard Lily's breath catch in her throat as she stared uncomprehendingly at my father. "W-what?"

"Deatheaters were sent to your house," he said gently. One stray tear escaped from Lily's eyes. "And I'm sorry to say it's because the Dark Lord thought Courtney might have been there." I felt my stomach tie itself in knots at those words. It was my fault. My fault Lily's parents were dead. Lily began to cry silently into her hands while my father turned to me after casting a sad look at Lily.

"Courtney, I have to tell you something I should have told you a long time ago." My grief and pain for Lily was momentarily forgotten at these words. "You're not a triplet. You never were...Beth and Amy are twins, but you're not their sister. Well...actually, you're their half sister." My brain shut down right then and there. Half sister? What?

"What do you mean?" I managed to choke out after several moments of silence passed.

My father, if he was my real father spoke again, "A while ago, your mother and I were in a pretty big fight. We decided to take a break for awhile and I met someone. She was absolutely gorgeous and I fell in love with her in an instant. We...spent the night together...I imagine you can guess what happened afterwards."