Chapter 49

The fluorescent lights reflected off the polished linoleum covered floors and the smell of disinfectant lingered. Once, Brooksdale hospital served the numerous small villages in the surrounding areas as well as Brooksdale's 15,000 people. But over the years, changes to funding had seen a wing closed and most of the specialist services moved to Armidale.

Today, the hospital served as a halfway house for elderly patients who had suffered a stroke or had a serious fall. The occasional moan echoed through the stark corridors. The emergency department still operated and dealt largely with farm accidents and car crashes. Today they had something different.

Ryan had already given his statement to the police, been checked by a doctor, and was finally free to go home at six in the evening.

He wasn't ready to go home.

The door to Bec's room opened and Sharon Burgess stepped out and clapped Ryan on the shoulder. He nodded in recognition and stepped inside. The room was sterile white with grey blinds over the windows. It was good Bec had a window. There was a bed, a plastic chair, television, and a night stand with drawers and a mirror.

Bec lay on the bed, her head turned towards the window through which the evening twilight cast a blue shadow over Brooksdale. The town lights twinkled as they came on.

Bec shifted in her bed and looked at Ryan. She said, "You could've given a girl a chance to get made-up." Her voice was still croaky. Her neck was bandaged and Ryan imagined the raw flesh underneath. He hoped it wouldn't scar her. She had a black eye and her bottom lip was swollen. Ryan rubbed his chin and stood awkwardly halfway between the door and the bed. He wanted to sit beside her and hold her hand. But he wasn't sure where their relationship was. Instead, he said, "Jerry's going to be fine. The bullet just grazed his side."

"That's a relief. I was worried about him. How about Angela?"

"They took her to Armidale for surgery. Not life-threatening, though."

"Good. It wasn't fair that she got shot because of me. How about you?"

Ryan stepped forward and put his hands on the aluminium bars that stopped patients rolling out of bed. "Hey, none of this was your fault." Bec simply looked at him. Ryan continued, "I haven't heard anything about Jen."

Bec gestured towards the chair. "She saw me before Sharon came in. I guess you were still talking to the police. She's okay. Bruising where she was tired up. A cut on her head. She told me she was going to go home."

Ryan nodded. He had been worried about Jen. "Any news on Phil?"

"Sharon said he's been taken into custody and charged with a host of things including kidnapping, unlawful imprisonment, assault, and I don't know what else. She says he'll be put away for a long time and not to worry."

"Will you have to testify?"

Bec nodded and her gaze wandered back to the window.

Ryan reached out and held her hand. He gave it a gentle squeeze and felt Bec return the pressure. He relaxed and said, "Jen can stay at my place. She might not feel safe in her flat after today."

"That's good. I'll message her."

"You can stay at my place, too. Until you leave."

Bec let go of his hand, leaving it stranded on the white bed sheet. She said, "I have to thank you. What you did was really special. Thank you."

Ryan ran his hand through his hair and looked out the window. He felt uncomfortable with the praise. Besides, he had something else he wanted to talk about.

Now or never. Ryan said, "I wanted to talk with you..."

Bec cut him off. "Ryan, if this is about us, it's okay. I get it. You belong in Brooksdale. But don't try to talk me out of going to Melbourne. Even looking like this!" She waved her hand over her face, smiled, then winced at the pain.

"Just let me talk, will you." He took a deep breath. "I did a lot of thinking. You're the best thing that's ever happened to me. I... I realized I love you and I want to share my life with you. I want to go to Melbourne with you, or wherever you go. I want to go on that journey."

Bec couldn't believe her ears. She was sure Ryan was going to stay in Brooksdale, especially after getting the promotion.

She blinked away tears. This was all too much. Emotions flooded through her, swirled, then were pulled out again with the tide.

She grasped Ryan's hand and pulled it towards herself, saying, "Okay. Yes, come with me." Tears trickled down her cheeks and through the blur she could see wetness on Ryan's face, too. He leaned over and hugged her, kissing her gently on the cheek as he did so. In this place, with all that had happened, such a simple form of human contact was the most intimate touch she had ever experienced.