Chapter 33

Bec was on her hands and knees under the dining table picking up papers that had fallen. It was Monday morning and the sun lovingly warmed Jen's flat. Bec had spent the weekend with Ryan at the youth centre. Ryan's reaction to the funding cut had been to carry on as usual – at least until the money dried up.

Bec found herself caught up in the life of the town and it felt good. She felt grounded and accepted in the community.

"What are you looking for?" Jen asked.

"I'm looking for a business card. Do you remember I told you about that guy from Smith, Hall, and Townsend?"

"The real estate agents? I think I put the card in the top drawer of the cabinet," Jen replied. She picked up her work bag and headed for the door. Bec crawled out from under the table and went to the cabinet.

"Here it is!"

Jen looked suspiciously at her sister, "Are you moving out, or something?"

Bec bit her bottom lip then cleared her throat. "I just want to find out what rents are like. You know, what I could afford, if I were to move out."

Jen put her bag down and out her hands on her hips. "What's wrong with staying here?"

"Nothing. I was thinking what it would be like if I stayed in Brooksdale a bit longer."

Jen raised her eyebrows and smiled. "Really? That's great news. But, you know, we could get a bigger place together."

Bec raised her hand, palm towards Jen, in a calming manner. "I'm only checking prices. And I'm not one-hundred percent sure I want to settle down yet. I mean, work is great, you're great..."

"Ryan's great," Jen added.

The sisters giggled together. Bec continued, "I mean, my dream is to pursue photography. Not just doing weddings and family portraits, but real photography. The art of it.

"I'd have to travel. Or, at least move to where the scene is more vibrant."

Jen walked forward and took Bec's hands. "Those aren't bad choices. Besides, why does it have to be all one or the other? Have you talked with Ryan about it?"

Bec looked out the window when she answered, "I know what he'll say, 'You can do all that stuff here in Brooksdale.'"

Jen said, "There's no rush." Jen gave Bec a quick hug, then left for work, leaving Bec alone in the apartment.

Ryan stepped out of the shower. He wrapped a towel around his waist and walked into the kitchen.

He looked at the clock: seven-thirty. Good timing. He loved his morning routine. Get up at five-thirty, work out, shower, breakfast and coffee, go to work. Perfect. Ryan put on the water for his coffee and put a bowl of oats in the microwave. While they heated, he dried himself and dressed for work. He still felt defeated about the funding cut to the youth centre. By now all the students and parents had heard. Some were angry and vowed to write letters until council changes its decision. Most were just sad, but realized there was very little to be done. That's just how things were.

Ryan mixed protein powder, frozen blueberries, and Greek yoghurt with his oats, then finished making his coffee.

He sat at his dining table and looked out the window. He could see his garden and workshop. He looked forward to getting in there and making something, but not today. After work was BJJ training.