Chapter 14

When Bec's boss asked her to take care of the school photo shoot at Brooksdale High, she said 'yes'. Bec had been at Paul's Photography for a couple of weeks and he was trusting her with a major job.

At first she was thrilled to have the responsibility. Then the reality of what she had agreed to settled like mud after a flood. As she pulled into the Brooksdale High visitors' car park, a wave of nerves rippled through her stomach. She pulled a half-pint bottle of vodka from her backpack on the driver's seat.

She put the bottle back in her bag unopened.

You're going into a school for goodness sake!

The past two weeks had gone well for Bec. She had picked up a job at Paul's Photography. The pay wasn't great, but it meant she could help Jen with the bills, and having something to do meant she had to cut back on the alcohol.

She felt that she had turned a corner. A warm, gentle feeling of security and progress infused her days. She even returned to being brunette.

Bec got out of the car and looked at the school. Its concrete buildings were typical of nineteen-eighties school architecture. It could have easily been a prison. No doubt there were students who felt so.

At reception, a woman in her sixties, with her hair tied in a bun and wearing glasses on the end of her nose with a beaded chain securing them around her neck, greeted her. "Yes, can I help you?"

Bec stepped forward hesitantly. "My name is Rebecca Williams. I'm the photographer."

The woman looked at Bec over her glasses. "You wouldn't be related to Jen Williams, would you?"

Country towns. "Yes, I'm her sister. Do you know her?"

The older woman's straight face broke into the slimmest of smiles. "There's not a teacher in this town I don't know. At this school or any other. I might add that Jen Williams is one heck of a teacher, so you'd better be one heck of a photographer." The smile broadened and the woman reached across the desk to shake hands, "I'm Delores Mayfield."

Delores' grip was firm but friendly. She continued, "Sign the visitor's book while I call through. Mr. Anderson is supposed to show you around this afternoon. I'm sure he's got a tour all worked out for you." Delores grinned as she picked up the phone.

Bec's nerves intensified. Anderson? The name sounded familiar. Ryan Anderson. A little panic fluttered up to Bec's throat.

Bec hoped her voice didn't waver as she replied to Delores, "Oh, I don't want to be any trouble. A quick look at where the photos are usually taken will be fine. It should only take fifteen minutes or so."

Delores said, "Right. Fifteen minutes. I'll mention to Ryan that you're in a hurry."

Bec signed in. Her hand was a little shaky. To cover her anxiety, she looked around the school's entrance, at the trophy cabinets and past graduating class photos. There in the top left was a face she recognized: Ryan Anderson, Brooksdale High Football Team, 2005. He was younger, but that was him all right.

Ryan picked up the phone in the English Department office. "Ryan? The photographer is here," said Delores. Then added in a hushed voice, "And she's a looker."

Ryan ran his hand over his close-cropped hair. Delores was the heart of the school: the unofficial counsellor. Many a student and a teacher had accepted tissues and a cup of tea from Delores Mayfield in a time of emotional crisis.