Chapter 29

The sun was out and the sky had crisp blue to it that was only seen in winter. Ryan walked Bec to the door of Jen's flat. They had walked from Ryan's house because Bec wanted exercise to help clear her hangover. Ryan felt good walking with her, as if he had someone to care for and share his town with.

It was just after midday when they arrived and Bec had to be at work at one o'clock. "Thank you for taking care of me," said Bec. "And for showing me that spot by the river. It really was beautiful."

This time, Ryan leaned in and kissed Bec. When he broke away, she was smiling and she took both of his hands. "Would you like to come over for dinner Friday? I'm busy with photo shoots until then."

"No..."

"Hey. I understand..."

Ryan smiled, "No. I didn't finish. Come to my place. I'll cook."

"It's a date." Bec kissed him on the lips then went inside.

Ryan tried to stay cool, but underneath he was giddy. Bec was a gorgeous, intelligent woman and things were moving for him.

He went back out onto the street and strolled leisurely back home. He only paid passing attention to the black Hyundai parked on the street opposite Jen's flat.

Inside the flat, Bec stood in the middle of a disaster zone. What had Jen been doing last night? No. Bec caught herself. Jen always cleans up. Now it was Bec's turn. She had thirty minutes.

She put clothes away, cleaned up broken glass, took a bin full of empty wine bottles out to the recycling, and threw a bunch of clothes into the washing machine before she left for work.

Bec didn't get home until well into the early hours of the morning because of the photo shoot. So, the next morning, Bec awoke to the sound of the TV blaring. It was eleven in the morning and Jen was in the kitchen, spatula in hand.

"Hi Jen."

No reply.

She tried again, louder. "Jen!"

Jen pursed her lips and focused more intently on her cooking.

The smell was enticing and Bec felt good – no trace of hangover. She had only drunk a couple of beers last night. She was serious about taking good photos. She looked at the food laid out on the kitchen counter. "Mmmm. Tacos?"

Jen replied curtly, "Yeah. Pork and cabbage."

Bec opened the fridge. There was no wine and she hadn't bought a replacement bottle of vodka. Water it is.

Bec leaned her back against the fridge and said, "Listen, Jen. I'm sorry about the other night."

No reply.

Bec continued, "I was in the wrong. I shouldn't have gotten so drunk."

Jen started chopping cabbage.

"C'mon Jen. We're sisters. It's been a tough time. It's not like I'm an alcoholic or anything."

The sound of chopping stopped. Jen looked over her shoulder at Bec and said, "Prove it. No more hiding alcohol and no alcohol for a week."

Bec massaged her fingers nervously, like a toddler trying to explain how the milk ended up on the floor.

Jen pushed, "Prove you're not an alcoholic. It's only a week." She went back to chopping.