Chapter 20

Chapter 20

"No! I get to go down the slide first!"

"No, I do! Shut up doody head! It's my turn!"

"No, it's my turn you stupid baloney brain!"

"Kaitlyn, go over there and settle that dispute before it gets out of hand," My boss told me as he pointed over to a small slide in the corner of the arcade area where there stood two small boys, a blonde and a brunette, yelling at each other at a volume so loud it could shatter glass.

I let out a long sigh at the bottle of window cleaner and the rag that I held in my hands and set them down onto a table beside me. "Can't you do it? I mean, you are in charge here, aren't you?"

"I am in charge, that is correct. But, since I'm in charge, I get to tell you what to do." He gave me a smug look, like he just won the argument. "Now, go over there and settle it."

I grabbed the bottle of window cleaner and the rag and held it out to him. "Alright, but then who will clean the windows? Are you going to do it?"

He straightened his tie. "Don't be ridiculous. You will, of course."

"You know, I think that should be considered an extra cost, I should be getting paid more." I told him.

"Yeah, and I should let you take the rest of the year off. But that isn't going to happen, now is it?"

"Oh come on, it's Valentine's Day. Can't you be a little nicer?"

"Nope," He said simply and then strutted off towards the back room. Probably to take a nap or do something else that isn't productive.

I sighed and grabbed an empty bottle that had a spraying nozzle attached to it. I quickly filled it with water and then headed over to the squabbling children.

"Hey, you two." I pointed the bottle at them like it was a weapon. "Stop yelling."

They ignored me and continued quarrelling."Stop being a butt! It's my turn and you know it!" The brunette said.

"Is not!" Countered the blonde.

I gripped the bottle tightly in my hand and gently squeezed the nozzle, causing a drizzle of water to spew over the children. I sprayed them until they stopped. Which took a while.

"What the-?" The brunette shouted.

"Hey lady, what are you doing?!" The blondescreeched.

"I told you two to stop fighting," I explained calmly. "But, you didn't listen to me like good little boys should, so you got sprayed."

"You-you can't do that." The brunette said. "That's like illethal or something."

"Do you mean illegal?" I asked, but when he gave me a confused look I decided to drop it.

"I am allowed to spray you if you're being bad, that's one of the rules of this place." I told them, even though it really wasn't.

"You're making that up." The blonde accused.

I sighed and looked around, stuck on how I'd get out of this. Was spraying children illegal or illethal as the kids would say and could I actually go to jail for that?

I spotted Mason clearing some tables and the sight of him gave me an idea. "Look, I'll prove it to you." I said. "Wait, here."

I quickly strolled over to Mason and tapped him on the shoulder. "Hey Mason, can you do me a favor?"

He looked up at me from the dishes he held and smiled, his blue eyes friendly. "Sure, Kait. What's up?"

"Well, do you see those two little boys over there?" I pointed in the direction of the slide.