Chapter 8

Chapter 8

"So, how's the cotton candy?" I asked Drew, finishing up my funnel cake.

Drew looked down at his fluffy stick of pink cotton candy, and sighed. "It sucks," He then chucked it into a nearby garbage can.

"Want some of my funnel cake?" I offered him, holding out a forkful of cake.

Drew cringed. "No, thanks. I'm done with the sweets for now." He leaned back into the bench and looked out at the carnival before us, bright lights flashing, fun music being played, and people out laughing and having a good time with their friends.

After a few quiet minutes, he turned to me. "So, what's wrong?"

I looked down at the remains of my funnel cake. "What do you mean?"

Drew sighed. "Don't play that game with me, Kait. There's obviously something wrong, So why don't you tell me what it is, and I can beat up the guy whose responsible for it."

I glanced up at him and saw a smile playing on his lips. "It's this guy I like," I said slowly. "I was going to ask him out today, you know, make the first move. But, I found out that he's taken by one of my friends.

He gave me a pat on the shoulder. "Oh, well that sucks. Sorry Kait,"

"It's okay, it's no big deal." I mumbled.

But the truth is, it is a big deal, to me. Mason is the only guy I feel like I can trust and confide in other than Drew. I thought maybe we had something, a spark.

"Well," Drew stood up picking off bits of cotton candy that stuck to his shirt. "I'm going to go look around, play some games, hang with guys, meet you later?"

I was kind of hurt that Drew didn't want to hang out with me for the rest of the night, or that he didn't invite me to come join him, but I nodded anyway and headed towards the fun house.

I pushed the wide, rusty double doors to the "Creepy Creepers FunHouse" and stepped in to be surrounded by darkness.

Great.

I walked forward a bit and realized that it was way to dark to even see where I was going. I fumbled in my bag for my phone, so that I could use it as light. I waited for the screen to light up and then I held it out in front of me, flashlight style.

But, my phone shone over a really frightening looking carnival clown, that caused me to let out a super piercing, super girly, horror movie scream. The clown had bright red paint running over it's mouth, it looked like a three year old painted it, huge eyes that seemed to follow you with the smallest movement, and a long crooked nose. However, the thing that scared me the most about this clown, was it's facial expression, like it was ready and happy to kill you.

No thanks clown, I still have a long life ahead of me.

I stumbled backward, wanting to hurriedly get away from that thing, when I felt something hard against my back. I looked up to see what or who I hit and was disturbed to find another clown.

Alright, I'm out of here.

I tried to run forward, but a hand pulled me back. I let out another piercing scream, but this time it was cut off by laughter.

I stopped to look at the clown. His laugh was familiar, very familiar.

"Liam?" I asked.

"Hey, Kait," He laughed. "You should have seen your face, it was hilarious.

~*~

"So do you always dress up as a clown and wait to scare the crap out of poor defenseless girls, in your free time?" I asked Liam. We were outside of the fun house now and sitting on one of the wooden benches that looked out to the ocean. It felt strange to be near the ocean while it was still cold out.