Chapter 27

Chapter 27

"Mmm, don't you just love the spring time?" Tyler asked, as he closed his eyes and turned his body toward the sun.

I brought the straw that was connected to my smoothie cup up to my lips. "Yeah, everything feels, I don't know, fresher. You know?"

Mother nature was definitely bipolar these days. One week, we'd have stormy and snowy weather and then the next thing you know, the birds are chirping and the flowers are blooming. Can't say I'm complaining though, I absolutely love this weather.

Tyler nodded and sipped his own banana and strawberry smoothie. "So, come on Kaitlyn, tell me how the party went."

I glanced over at Tyler and sighed. We were walking downtown, catching up and enjoying the good weather. I was glad that I was able to spend some time with him for once. 

I really wish that he didn't bring this topic up, though. Anything Jared related is sure to bring down my mood.

"What? Are you upset because you didn't have any scandalous hookups?" He said while wiggling his eyebrows at me.

I swatted his arm. "Oh stop."

"Hey, I'm kidding, I'm kidding." He held up his hands in surrender. "But, seriously. Give me details."

I took a long sip of my smoothie and then turned to Tyler. "You really wanna know?'

He laughed. "Yes, yes! I'm bursting with excitement, tell me."

I chucked my now empty smoothie cup into a nearby trashcan. "Well, Jared's an asshole."

Tyler's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Yeah, we both know that, but what does he have to-"

"He's an asshole." I repeated. "Meaning, that he acted like a total jerk and then forced me out of the party and made me walk home in the cold and alone in the dark."

"What?" He asked incredulously. "Why would he do that?"

"He got mad at me because I was telling him how his little crazy head game is going to end soon." I replied nonchalantly.

Tyler sighed. "Kait, there's a time and place for that, you know? And a party is definitely not the time and place for that."

"I know!" I admitted exasperated. "It's just I couldn't help it, okay? I had to say something, he was being so cocky and I just wanted to burst his big stupid bubble and bring him to reality."

"I get it, I get it. Revenge and all that crap, right?" Tyler said. "But, Kait, not at a party!"

I rolled my eyes. "I'll provoke him at a party, a wedding, or hell, even a funeral. I don't care."

Tyler let out a loud laugh and shook his head. "You're ambitious, I like that."

I stopped walking and leaned against a store window of a small boutique that had mannequins sporting the new season's looks. "Yeah well, my ambition doesn't seem to be leading me to success."

Tyler dropped his empty smoothie cup into an overflowing trash can and made his way over to me. "Hey, we just got to keep trying, right?"

"But, trying is all I ever do, Tyler. When is this finally going to end?"

And as if by powers sent from heaven (or hell, I can't tell yet) I saw Jared leaving a flower shop, carrying a bouquet of yellow and pink roses.

"Well, you never know, I mean-" Tyler started to say.

I patted his arm urgently, interrupting him. "Wait, Tyler look." I pointed in the direction of where Jared was heading.

We both watched him walk along a crowded sidewalk with a phone up to his ear and the bouquet dangling at his side.