Chapter 16

Chapter 16

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Joanie, happy birthday to you!" Everyone sang as a "Bobo's Party in a Box" employee came out carrying a gigantic chocolate cake with sparkler candles occupying the top.

The little girl, Joanie, was no easy birthday girl. She was wearing a puffy princess dress that you'd get at a costume store with a humongous tiara mounted on her head. She pranced around like she was the queen of England and demanded that everyone bow or curtsy whenever they crossed in front of her. Of course all of us employees did exactly as we were told, because A) Her parents are filthy rich, B) If her parents are happy with our service, they will tip very generously, and C) Joanie threatens to sue whoever doesn't obey her. So, naturally, we'd follow her instructions with big grins plastered onto our faces.

Once the employee set down the cake in front of Joanie, she began to scream. She leaned away from the cake and yelled, "Ah! The candles, the candles! They're going to burn my face and my hair! How dare you! How dare you try and burn your queen! I will sue, I will sue all of you until you become bankrupt ,you horrible demons!"

Considering that the girl was only turning eight, she had a very large vocabulary. I was impressed. Joanie's parents ran over to her and tried to calm her down. "Look," Her mother said as she waved her hands over the candles. "See, they're completely harmless, they don't burn or hurt or anything sweetheart."

Joanie narrowed her eyes at her parents. "I do not trust those things, I demand to have a prince blow them out for me!"

Joanie was something else alright. Everyone looked at each other, unsure of what to do. I mean, a prince? Joanie wanted a prince to blow out her stupid candles?

Suddenly, Mason emerged from a room in the back wearing a paper crown on his head. I have no idea how he does it but, he managed to make that look good.. "Where is my princess?" He said.

Everyone chuckled and pointed over to where Joanie stood.

He walked over to Joanie and stuck his hand out to her. "Why you must be Princess Joanie, is that right?"

She giggled and put her hand in his. "Yes and are you my prince?"

"Well of course, Prince Mason here at your service, my lady." He kissed the huge ring on her index finger.

She blushed and giggled. "Well, Prince Mason, I need you to blow out my candles for me. It will burn my hair, if I do it."

Mason smiled. "I'd be glad to, Princess Joanie. Tell me what you wish for and I'll blow out your candles."

She tapped her index finger against her chin, in thought. "I want a new pony, snowflake is getting too small for me."

Mason nodded and then blew out her candles. Everyone clapped and cheered. A few teenage girls started chanting, "Prince Mason, Prince Mason, Prince Mason."

He looked over at me, and I smiled and gave him two thumbs up. He returned the smile, took off his crown, bowed and left the room, leaving Joanie completely dazzled.

~*~

"Okay, people the Valentine's Sweetheart dance is tomorrow, so we have to get all of these things done, so that all we have to do tomorrow is set up. Got that?" Britney asked. She had on an adorable white skirt with a green cardigan, that matched her green headband and green heels. Not only was she organized, she always matched her clothing.

Everyone nodded.

"Alright, now get to work. Chop, chop!" She said.

At her command, everyone turned to go do what they were assigned to do. Britney for some reason appointed me on cupcake duty. Probably because she saw what a horrible job I did last time when I put up the hearts and she very rudely took them off and made me put them up again, they were apparently " slightly crooked". She can be too much of a perfectionist at times. However, I was okay with my assignment because, all I had to do was frost cupcakes and not actually make them, because if I did, well let's just say that the firemen will be called in for sure.