Chapter 19

Chapter 19

"Happy Valentine's Day, Kaitlyn!"

I slowly let go of the locker combination lock that I gripped in my hand and turned to face Leah with what I hoped was a convincing smile on my face.

"Happy Valentine's Day, Leah," I said wearily. I was still sore and tired from this past weekend and I wasn't all too excited about today. I mean, it''s only Valentine's Day, who really cares?

"Oh come on, Kait, lighten up," She held up her arms and motioned to the students who were strolling the hallways before us, most of them in couples. "Don't you feel the love in the air?"

I shook my head and turned back to my combination lock, I dialed in the numbers quickly and swung open the creaky, rusted, silver door. "The only thing that I feel," I said as I took out my Math textbook and notebook from where they sat on their top shelf inside of the locker. "is the icy wind blowing throughout the halls. Seriously, did the janitor not turn on the heat?"

Leah swatted my arm. "Alright, Kaitlyn. Be bitter, but I have something that I know will make you happy or at least wipe that scowl off your face."

I fought the urge to roll my eyes. "Okay, Leah, what is it?"

She dug around in her oversized electric blue purse, which matched her electrice blue flats and heart shaped earrings. "Hold on," She said as she rummaged some more. "It's in here somewhere, I know it." Then she held up a small black bag that was decorated in tiny sparkly red hearts. "Ah ha! Here it is, Happy Valentine's Day, Kait, I love you and I'm so glad that we're best friends because you're truly an amazing person. I hope that we'll be best friends forever."

Her words immediately sent a smile to form on my lips. I reached over and embraced her in a huge hug. "I love you too, and I'm glad we're best friends because you're fabulous and sweet and- and I hope that we'll be best friends forever too." I was so glad to have a moment like this again. It's been so long since me and Leah have really hung out and just got to talk about everything. I realized now how much I missed her and it brought tears to my eyes.

And of course, it all makes sense, the reason that I don't ever really get to hang out with my best friends, is because I'm losing them both to Jared.

When we pulled away, Leah saw the misty look that I was giving her. She had on an identical one, as well. We laughed and hugged again, then Leah pulled away and said, "Look at us, it's just like if we're old friends reuniting again."

"Well, it sort of feels that way."

"I know, I know," Leah said, then she looked down at the bag that she still held in her hands. "Oh, open it! Open it!"

I laughed and grabbed the bag from Leah's outstretched hands. I dug around through the enormous amount of red tissue paper. "Wow, you really tried to hide the present from me, diidn't you?" I said as I started to pull out the tissue papers because digging around them was not helping.

Leah giggled and put a hand to her chest. "Hey, you know me. I like to make a gift look classy, and that," She said as she pointed to the tissue paper that was now slowly falling to the scuffed up school floor. "is very classy. My mother always says that tissue paper can add more color to a gift bag, you know? Plus, it makes it a fun hunt for the person recieving the gift."

I scoffed at Leah. "Well, I'm not having much fun here, as you can see."

Leah brushed my comment aside with a wave of her hand. "Oh, shut up and keep looking."

I pulled out the remainder of the paper, leaving us surrounded in a cloud of vanilla scented red tissue paper. Who knew they made that? At the bottom of the bag I saw a small, rectangular, black box. I pulled it out excitedly and opened it without hesitation. Inside, was the most beautiful silver charm bracelet that I had ever seen in my life.